We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airports on Greek islands?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airports on Greek islands?

Hi, this summer my family and I are thinking of going on holiday to a Greek island, although at the moment we're undecided as to which one. Airports are a massive consideration for us as a few summers ago we had an awful experience in Kos airport (waiting outside for 2 hours in sweltering heat, flight delayed and nowhere to sit for hours, almost missed flight etc) and we'd like to not repeat this same kind of experience again. We've been to Crete recently also and we found the airport there fine.

Have you got any Suggestions to an island where we could fly into a fairly large airport, anything of crete's standard and above would be great. We're open to any island really as long as (aswell as the airport) there are decent beaches, restaurants and nice villas we could stay in. Also an island which we can fly directly to from Liverpool or Manchester using any airline.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airports on Greek islands?

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Gree…

http://www.europe-airports.com/greece/

Edited: 30 December 2012, 04:57
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airports on Greek islands?

No flights from Liverpool. From Manchester several airlines flying direct to

Corfu, Rhodes, Heraklion in Crete in which town there is nothing much to see, Zakynthos, Kefalonia.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airports on Greek islands?

Thank you, I'll have a look!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airports on Greek islands?

Hi there yea your right kos airport is bad we have done kos a few times . Preveza is a small airport never gets that packed nice little taverna across the rd we use befor flight , a few resorts u fly into preveza airport we always go to lefkas ( nidri ) been 6 times or theres prarga and a few others but not been them but others say how nice they are its a 3 hr flight to preveza from manchester and a 45 min transfer to nidri . Karen

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airports on Greek islands?

Hi there

I think at various times we have all endured the type of delays that you describe when departing from a Greek island airport. I don't think that the size of the airport has much to do with it, after all, we have been delayed by several hours a couple of times when coming home from Crete, and once by a couple of hours coming home from Rhodes. Bear in mind that if a flight is delayed, then it's usually because it's been held up somewhere else prior to arriving on the island, so again, there's nothing much the airport or the carrier can do about it.

The airport at Mytilene on Lesvos is tiny but runs like clockwork, easily the fastest transit through both arriving and departing the island, and there are certainly flights to Lesvos from Manchester

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airports on Greek islands?

I liked Samos airport as it has lots of places to sit , with shade, just outside the terminal building. :O) :O)

7. Re: Airports on Greek islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:16