We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

We are in the planning process of a trip to the Greek isle this May. We are planning on flying directly into Athens and then on to Santroini first that day. The plan would then be to spend a few days there then boat to the next island and then on to Mykonos for the last leg so the we can catch the 7am flight out to ATH, the day we head back to states.

Any advice on the an third island destination in between the two main that we can get to by ferry. We love low key beautiful landscape and local favor of the island. No interest in night life and bars- just quality food and atmosphere. Also, is flying back the day we depart way to adventurist ? Should we plan a day in and around Athens the day prior to heading back to the states.

thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

Hey and welcome M-LOhio:-) Firstly.. would most definitely rec at least a day before.. preferably a couple of nights to give you at least a full day in this magnificent City with all it has to offer;-) After all, you're coming the distance.. shame to miss universally reknown highlights such as the Akropolis;-) Regardless, at the very least, would look into flying in the day before.. connecting same day on a trans.. although successfully done by a gazzilion folks throughout the years, always leaves room for mishap.. whether mechanical or delay! You want to make sure to be in area/vicinity the night before.. just in case:-) Consider the reprecussions of a misconnect;-))

As far as which isle en route.. would look into Naxos and/or Paros.. both fall in convenient run and believe they will fit the bill for what you're looking for.. laid back.. relaxed.. beautiful villages/beaches.. sounds like it's right up your alley;-) Happy planning.. Happy New Year.. and enJOY!

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

Agreed, go to Naxos. Naxos is beautiful with amazing beaches, good food and a chilled out vibe. It were greeks go on their holidays. My husband and I went to santorini and Naxos last year based on the recommendations of a Greek friend. You'll love it there!

Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

Outstanding advice- thank you. I will look into Both islands.

Was a bit concerned about all the protests that is why I was planning on missing Athens? I realize that the media probably makes it out to be worse then it might be?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

You're welcome M-LOhio.. and you're right regarding the media;-) Don't miss these highlights;-) Keep us posted.. keep enJOYin'!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

Oh yes! The media has blown it all out of proportion- Athens is a very safe city- much safer than any large city here in the States. I can't imagine a trip to Greece without a few days there- it's my favorite place in the world.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

"I can't imagine a trip to Greece without a few days there" We first went to Athens over 30 years ago but after all the years since still spend at least two nights there after a stay on the islands.

Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

Ok good advice, Athens for 2 days it is!

My wife had one last questions:

Is it possible to travel to say Naxos and stay there for several days and see Mykonos and Paros as days trips to avoid packing and un packing so many times. As such we would travel all the way to Santorini on the first leg, boat to Naxos for the second- seeing Paros and Mykonos as day trips adn then Boat (?) to Athens for the last leg??

Doable or am I way off on travel exhaustion ?

thank you again

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

Day excursions from Naxos do not start until mid June in 2013:

greeka.com/cyclades/…naxos-tours.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

..keep an eye out at both www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ for ferry schedules as time approaches;-) Paros should be no problem since it's super close! Myknonos is doable as well but you'll need to check the ferry schedule itself on both since oftentimes, you can get to an isle.. but return ferry timngs don't pan out.. leaving either too little time..or too much (having to overnight;-) Believe there are day excusions from Naxos to Delos/Mykonos.. don't know if they'll be running in May though?;-) Keep enJOYin'!

EDIT: Posting same time.. guess that answers that, lol;)

Edited: 30 December 2012, 21:32
10. Re: Itinerary Help Greek Isle in 10days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:17