We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in sea in early May

Toronto
Level Contributor
27 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in sea in early May

Where in Greece or anywhere in Europe can I swim in the sea (comfortably) in early May? Does anyone have any suggestions for a great place, not too touristy?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in sea in early May

Hey and welcome dafforilspring:-) Well, the Med is still on the cool side.. and as far as the Greek isles go, your best bet would be isles the furthest South:-) I found Rhodes, surprisingly, perfectly doable in early May;-) Although I have taken dunks as early as April.. even if cooler waters in further northern isles at the time, Rhodes did amaze me.. the waters were fabulous and you could stay in and enjoy it beyond a 'dunk';-) Happy planning.. Happy New Year.. and enJOY!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in sea in early May

It may of coarse change from time to time, but last May we were swimming very comfortable in different Dodecanese islands, from Rhodes, to Symi and Lipsi. I must add that we, as Norwegians, are very happy with everything above 21 degrees centigrade.

When there is a little onshore wind, the surface water gets warmer and more comfortable. The challenge may be to choose the best beach on each island, the current weather conditions taken into account.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in sea in early May

Hi there

Try the south coast of Crete which is washed by the Libyan Sea, probably the warmest sea anywhere in Greece in early May.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in sea in early May

To be honest it is cold for the simple reason of the Mediterranean climate. Cool wet winters and hot dry summers. In early May the sea just has not warmed up.

This gives you details for the Mediteranean/Aegean.

poseidon.hcmr.gr/previous_forecasts.php…

Thus 1 st May from 13°C in the North Aegean to say 18°C in Rhodes south Aegean.

By 31 May from 19°C North Aegean to 22°C in Rhodes.

Rhodes is about as warm as it gets in Europe, any warmer means Middle East or Africa.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 11:34
Toronto
Level Contributor
27 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in sea in early May

Thanks to all for your valuable input. It still seems a bit uncertain. If I go, I'll let you all know how I found it!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in sea in early May

Our pleasure:-) Keep us posted.. keep enJOYin'!

7. Re: Swimming in sea in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 01:16