We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mythology and islands

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
mythology and islands

Heading to Greece in mid-March with 15 year old daughter who adores Greek Mythology. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Also would love to visit an island or two although may be chilly in March. I am told Santorini is nice. Thank you for any advice! I'm currently in Israel and don't have accessibility to guide book sin English. Shalom!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,174 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mythology and islands

Delos island, which you can easily reach on a half-day excursion from Mykonos, would fascinate your daughter -- it's the mythological birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. It's a huge outdoor archaeological site with a museum. Here's a link to an online guide to Delos: www.latsis-foundation.org/default.asp…

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mythology and islands

In March many places will be closed and travel between islands will be restricted by limited ferry schedules and uncertain weather. I would advise you to stick to larger places where there is year-round life independent of tourism. Crete would be ideal, you can visit Knossos, the palace of King Minos and the legendary Minotaur in its labyrinth. Staying in Iraklio (also spelt Heraklion) you will find plenty of places to stay and eat, and its archaeological museum is a must-see for your daughter.

Crete has the added advantage of being the most southerly Greek island, where you might have better weather.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mythology and islands

Hmm...mid-March is still winter, so I would stick to the mainland myself. There is plenty to see in Athens, and other important archeological sites near Nafplio and at Delphi. Delphi is at the base of Mt Parnassos, which has skiing at the top. Your daughter may have read about the oracle of Delphi.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mythology and islands

Hi there

If you DO decide on Crete, then your daughter would enjoy visiting the Diktaean Cave , this is found above the village of Psyhro up on the Lassithi plateau, and is reputedly where the infant Zeus was secreted away from his father Kronos, who was well known for eating his offspring....;0)

Ithaca would also be a good island to consider, it's the home island of Odysseus and features the only statue of him in the Ionians, in the village of Stavros.

5. Re: mythology and islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 06:17