We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

I would like to know if tourist information is readily available in Athens and the islands, maps, directions etc or is it better to download the information before we arrive. Just want to check as my boss has recently been to Hong Kong and if it wasnt for the maps and info I arranged before they left they would not have any idea of where they were going

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

I 'm sure your boss is a happy one, since you have done such a good work.

As for Athens, you can purchase tourists map in the stalls or souvenirs shops on the central roads, while networks maps can be found for free in Syndagma subway station.

One thing i always do when i visit a foreign destination, since Internet gives access to any available info, is to download some maps and get around info before my arrival. One really good map that can be printed on A3 29.7cm X 42cm paper size can be found at the official state tourist site, which is:

http://www.gnto.gr/?langID=2

at download button.

Island maps or tourist info can be purchased at Eleftheroudakis central bookstores, at:

17, Panepistimiu Ave. or at

Sundagma, 20 Nikis Rd.

Even GPS is available, but i ;d say walkin around is much more in the right spirit here. . .

:)

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

Thank you nick arch for your information. I thought that would be quite alot of material available as the responses I have had to emails when booking accommodation has been overwhelming as well as on this forum. Certainly looking forward to discovering it all myself.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

A warm welcome is something all local volunteers here are trying to do. You are always welcome for any adittional question.

:)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

shezzac there is also a really nice web site with amny infos for Athens....is not the official one..but certainly it is better and full of infos in comparin with the official one

www.athensinfoguide.com

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

Hi shezzac the OFFICIAL website for Athens is in my opinion by FAR the BEST Athens Portal......

I have been using it since I discovered the Website........ ;)

Take a Look yourself it is GREAT

www.athensattica.com

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

and do not forget shezzac it is not OFFICIAL by accident :)

www.athensattica.com

GREAT SITE.......the OFFICIAL site The BEST ;)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

shezzac, does your boss need driving directions for the trip. If so, you should check out Google maps, many travels I know rave about it and I've always found it helpful for directions closer to home.

And for a bit of fun, you should look at Google earth images- I always find that so much fun. Actually that reminds me of the last time my boyfriend wanted to show me some detail in the landscape of the Grand Canyon (which he does often), I asked him to look at Athens and the pictures were amazing of the sites

Google Earth, and some of Google maps are provided by a company called Tele Atlas.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

shezzac i would like to here at last your personal opinion...as allways the reviews of tripadvisor members are worth more than anything....which site helped you more?so i would know which i would continue to recomend; )

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

Yes me too shezzac and ALWAYS check reviews on T.A. about hotels as well............ ;)

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist info in Athens and Cyclades

Thank you all for your help. This forum has been wonderful. We leave in three weeks and cannot wait....reading the experiences and travel reports have been great. We normally do a bus tour I am 53 and my partner 47 which we find easier but this time I have done the whole trip over the net and the response has been amazing to say the least. If greek people are anything like their emails its is going to absolutely wonderful.

I do have a couple of questions.......I do alot of walking with my dogs in the morning and think of other things I would like to know about our trip.

Is it better to take a suitcase or backpack. We are getting picked up by our hotels we have booked in Mykonos, Paros and Naxos so only have Santorini to worry about lugging bages etc.....we are staying at Hotel Keti there so I do know (from this forum) that there are quite a few steps to negotiate.....but even on the ferries....probaby the Blue Star from Athens to Mykonos do we have to take charge of our own luggage or do we 'check it in' so to speak and pick it up we when get off the ferry.