We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best islands for antiquities and great beach

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
Best islands for antiquities and great beach

We have 10 full days in Greece, our two kids are ages 12 and 14. We will have two days in Athens. What ancient sites must we visit? Which islands are easy to get to and have great culture and history? Not worried about budget, would like to avoid hordes. We will be there in late June. THanks for any tips.

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best islands for antiquities and great beach

First of all I would like to advize you to get a guidebook on Greece, and read up to what interests you the most. Greece is a very diverse country, and it is very hard to make recommendations, not knowing what your interests are.

I assume you are arriving in Greece after a long haul flight, so my advice is to fly out first to another island, and place the Athens days at the end of your trip. It makes the connection flying back home less stressfull.

Personally I would probably find interest in either flying to Kos or Rhodes. Both islands have a very beautiful capital, good beaches and enough culture to keep you ocupied for a few days. If you wish to take daytrips to other islands, this is also a possibility. Nearby are Chalki, Symi, Nissiros, Tilos. From Rhodes maybe even Kastellorizo, From Kos maybe Kalymnos or Patmos. If you fear that 8 days on Rhodes for example is too much for you, bear in mind that appart from exploring the island you are staying on, you can also take these daytrips. Or you could fly out to Rhodes upon arrival for 4 days, ferry to Kos for another 4 days, and from there back to Athens for your last two days. But this will give you a busy scedule...

Islands are plenty, and all of them have their charm. But while traveling try to stick to islands of the same group, or limit yourself to just one island with air connection, like Samos, Lesvos, Chios, Crete, Corfu...

To be avoided like the plague is hopping between islands of different groups. Don't try to combine Cyclades with Dodecanese, it will cost you a lot of time travelling in between. 10 days isn't that much, and you are already spending two of them in Athens.

As you seem to have made up your mind about two days in Athens, I can recommend this travel itinerary. Gets you to the highlights of Athens, and some insider's tips included. Great if you wish to explore on your own:

unanchor.com/itinerary/athens-3-day-tour-iti…

I had booked two private tours in Athens last time I visited, and thinking about the limited time you have available this may also be interesting to you. My review of the tour company:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189400-d3…

I hope this gives you some ideas to start with.

Happy travels!

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best islands for antiquities and great beach

Thanks, great advice!

3. Re: Best islands for antiquities and great beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 06:16