We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the economic situation in Greece now?

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
122 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic

I considered the Greek islands as a holiday destination last year but was put off with the economic situation i.e. high priced goods and services/lack of.

thanks.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

Here is one American travel writer's views:

seattletimes.com/html/travel/2020188112_stev…

While I'm not a follower of Rick Steves, his article puts things in perspective.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

<<<<high priced goods and services/lack of>>>>>

If you did not go to Greece how do you know this to be true? Which it most certainly was/is not as far as tourists being affected. Unfortunately the loss by not gong to Greece was more yours than that of Greece. You will see that hordes of people on these forums when to Greece last year & had a brilliant time. And hordes more will be going this year! Me included!

You might find this article interesting:

seattletimes.com/html/travel/2020188112_stev…

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

snap Heimdall! - we must read the same website material!!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

Hi LBB22,

Yes there are economic problems, but rather than hindering tourists they are actually helping. With Greeks having less money to spend, everywhere is desparate to keep prices down, certainly on Kefalonia and Lefkas (I cannot speak for other islands over the last 3 years)

Our two favourite restaurants have had the same menus for at least two years and only altered a few prices in pen.

One or two other myths:-

The shops are running out of food - completely false

ATM machines have no money in them - generally false but some at airports do run out when several aircraft have landed soon after each other.

Shops have closed down - not nearly as many as in England, in the tourist areas anyway.

Go to Greece and as others say you will have a great time

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

<but was put off with the economic situation i.e. high priced goods and services/lack of.>

What high priced goods?

Hotels / meals are the same or lower.

Only thing considerably higher is gasoline, which nevertheless is definitely comparable to prices you pay in the UK nowadays.

Gasoline price in the UK is in the 140ppl range if i am correct / here it's 154ppl if you make the conversion.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 15:35
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

Hi nick_arch,

Yup fuel prices pretty close!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

( i was checking fuel prices in the UK and they seem to have inflated considerably last 6 - 7 years indeed. Hard for all of us all across the continent; only good thing i wish we get out of it is at least some of our economy going away of fossil fuels hopefully, otherwise it's really hard and useless ).

Back to the point: Athens too has gone cheaper with same quality. It is always a matter of offer and demand though. Hotelprices for example are lower in Athens in low season, they do to raise though around holidays and so.

Meals are lower in Athens too, lots of offers, still same good food and great products, but everybody has to work on minimal earnings which has a toll at the end with businesses closing and those in pretty good financial shape still surviving. All in all good places are always around and in same or lower prices.

Shopping around also pays back: main strips will always be populated by visitors. Side streets where locals only go are always cheaper.

And better.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 17:11
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

We also find, even in Cephalonia, that a lot of the shops in side streets are more interesting!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

Hi tsipouro,

I saw the Rick Steves link in another TA posting — possibly yours. ;-)

10. Re: How is the economic situation in Greece now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:17