We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wasps on Greek islands

Whenever I read a review of hotels in Corfu it mentions wasps. Are these a problem on any other islands too?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

Depends which Greek island or rather group. The more northern humid ones like Corfu would have wasps on a par with the UK. I eat outside several pubs in my area in UK and you get bothered by wasps there, so no worse than in the Greek islands.

The drier, more burnt out southerly islands you may get none.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

Sorry to jump in and hijacking your question but is that the same for mozzies aswell?

oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

Hi there. Kefalonia was the worst island for me for the wasps. They were everywhere. We went early October, so don't know what it was like earlier on in the season.

cudeygirl. Worst island for us was Kos. We stayed in Tigaki where there is a saltlake, so this may have been the problem. Luckily, have only ever had a couple of bites on any other Greek island we've visited.

Denise.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

Does Rhodes have a wasp problem too? We went to Crete several years ago and didn't notice any wasps. That was in May, and we'd be going in September if we go to a Greek island again (hopefully next year).

5. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 July 2017, 17:07
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

Hi.

We went to Corfu late one September and the little devils were everywhere. It was very annoying at times, I have to admit.

I didn't find them as aggressive as the ones in the UK though.......They were just really interested in what we were eating and drinking on the balcony and at the local tavernas.

We took our cue from the locals and burned ground coffee to deter them.

As npj60 says, I wouldn't be too worried about them.

Mozzies? Now that is a different story lol! :O) :O)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

If there are wasps in the Cyclades I've never noticed them. Mozzies, on the other hand... ;-)

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

There's a hotel in Corfu that I liked the look of, but loads of reviews mention the wasps suggesting it's a problem if you want to drink or eat outside. It's something I've not encountered on holiday before, but the mossies definitely!

9. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 July 2017, 17:07
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,391 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wasps on Greek islands

Hi there

I did notice alot of wasps while on holiday in Corfu, a couple of years ago, but that wouldnt stop me from visiting the island again (in fact we are back there in June - it was no worse or better than the UK in the summer time) but didnt notice any wasps while visiting Kos, Rhodes or Crete. With regards to mosquitoes, as npj60 says... as long as you are prepared for them and take precautions then I really dont find them a problem either....