We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

Once retired, we promised ourselves foreign travel. Having been to and really enjoyed Athens as a sailor in the 60's I suggested we start there. My wife bid and won a six night stay on Paros Island through a Wisconsin Public Television auction so our fate was sealed. I've read several forums on TA, what an interesting and helpful community. We are pretty much prepared with flight and accommodations in Athens reserved. TA forums indicate that a ferry should be available, however 1 May is a traditional strike day so we are aware of and prepared for that. We are traveling very light, the "rule of three" suggested on this site. My only concern is spending six days on Paros. I'd like to hear from forum contributors as to whether Paros can "entertain and stimulate us for six days or should we spend a day or two traveling to nearby islands as well. Specific day trips around Paros would be appreciated. Also any recommended restaurants. We are eclectic eaters and looking forward to immersing ourselves in Greek cuisine. Looking forward to your replies.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

May Day is a traditional day in Europe for workers' parades (not strikes). Also in UK rural areas to celebrate Spring. The website livingingreece will give you an up to date notice of any industrial demonstrations.

Paros can be reached by air or ferry. The ferry port Parikia would make a useful base for a few days , it has plenty of apartments and restaurants plus convenient beaches. The glorious church ,Hekatontapylianii is certainly worth a few hours and the old town is a delightful stroll in the evening. Quite a big island and there is a good bus service so Naousa and Lefkes are easily reached, The adjoining small island of Antiparos is worth a visit ( ten minutes on a ferry from Pounta) , laid back with good beaches.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

There is lots to do on Paros, so no problem keeping yourself occupied for six days. Recommend a day on Antiparos (only 30 minutes from Parikia) or one of the Antiparos round-island boat trips, which pick up passengers on Paros.

If you wish to visit another island, then Naxos is only an hour away, and there are ferries both morning and afternoon between the two islands. There are also day trips to Delos/Mykonos, but they may not be running that early in the season.

Where are you staying on Paros?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
44 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

Have no fear: Paros has plenty enough to entertain you for six days. The side trips to Antiparos and Naxos -mentioned by Heimdall - are well worth your time.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

Thanks much

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

Thank you for the suggestions

6. Re: First time continental travelers, Athens and Paros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16