We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry seat choices??

Landisville...
Level Contributor
476 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry seat choices??

We haven't taken a Greek ferry since the 80's!! I am now trying to figure out what is the best option and when to book. We are going from Naxos to Santorini in mid - June. I looked at the booking site and Blue Star Delos is the best option. Now, when do I book and what type of ticket??? I have a choice of economy, aircraft seats, business seat? What do we do with our luggage? Can you check it somewhere and is there a cost or must you carry it to your seat? I appreciate any ideas!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry seat choices??

Hey and welcome Connie06:-) To start, there is luggage storage.. as soon as you board, there is usually a storage place right there so no need to go carrying it up the stairs to the main (other) levels;-)

Having said that, economy is pretty much deck space.. you can sit anywhere outside.. at the cafeteria/lounge area;-) An aircraft seat is just that, it guarantees an airplane type seat.. FWIW, I usually go deck space on the larger ferries and grab a seat either outside or at the cafe..I live to walk around and rarely stay seated for too long, lol.. easy enough;-) Business seat as well speaks for itself.. in a seperate/cordened off area of the ship.. again with airline type seating;-)

I've yet to book ferry tickets in advance.. you can certainly do so if you wish via www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ but for mid-June, you should do fine booking while on Naxos.. say a day or 2 before.. you'll find folks getting tickets at the last minute as well;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Landisville...
Level Contributor
476 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry seat choices??

Litsa....Thank you SO much!!! That is fantastic information. Do you pay to store your luggage? The Delos looks like a HUGE boat! I like your idea. We want to walk around and just enjoy the trip! It is only two hours so sounds like economy is best. How far in advance do you arrive at the dock? Thanks soooo much for your help!

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry seat choices??

The storage for the luggage is free. As Litsa said, there is absolutely no need for pre-booking. Just buy your tickets when you are in Naxos. Plenty of travel offices where you can buy the tickets. Like Litsa I mostly buy my tickets on the day or the day before. The time for arrival at the dock is all up to you. Maybe you want to sit and have a drink while you watch the activities in the port. Well, arrive well in advance then. Or you like it so much that you don't want to leave. Don't go hours in advance the, 15 minutes will do. Enjoy the stay and the trip.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry seat choices??

Ferries have changed surprisingly little since the 80's. In this case the Bluestar Delos is very new and large relatively speaking. Economy is like 1st class on the old ones, but they still run as they always have done.

Cheapest ticket is fine for that distance, you carry your luggage aboard youself there is no charge, no check in, they just detach part of your ticket whilst boarding and carrying/dragging your luggage.

I just buy tickets the day before or maybe earlier whilst on the island.

I get to the dock an hour before or a closeby cafe for some liquid refreshment. For that ferry a late breakfast.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry seat choices??

Here is to give you an idea of the Blue Star ferries:

http://tinyurl.com/399hk6x

Edited: 18 February 2013, 06:20
Landisville...
Level Contributor
476 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry seat choices??

Thank you again for all of your help....will buy the ticket on Naxos and store the luggage and enjoy the ride! Will probably get there a little early...Thank you!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,978 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry seat choices??

Business class on Blue Star actually has comfortable sofas, chairs, and tables, not aircraft type seats. You won't need that, though, on the Naxos to Santorini route. It's only about 2 hours, and there is much to see en route, culminating in passage through the Santorini caldera. You will almost certainly want to be on the outside deck, camera at the ready! :-)

Landisville...
Level Contributor
476 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry seat choices??

Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to visit!

9. Re: Ferry seat choices??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16