We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

My husband and I are planning our 6th trip to Europe this summer and are completely torn between Greece or Croatia/Slovenia. We are in love with Italy and have also been to Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Switzerland, and Spain. This is likely our last big trip before starting a family and taking a step back from travel for a bit. Greece has been at the top of my travel list for a while but I have recently become very interested in Croatia. We are looking for a romantic vacation with beautiful views, sights, and beaches. From what I have read I think both locations fit the bill but we can only choose one. I know by posting in the Greece forum everyone will say Greece and vice versa but I'm hoping to find some travelers that have been to both and can comment on their experience in each country and if biased posters want to "sell" their country that's fine too :). My hestitatation on Croatia is that maybe it's a less spectacular (beauty wise) Greece or Italy but I think it offers the diversity that Greece may not with the Plivitice Lakes, Istria, cities as well as the islands. From what I read it sounds like Greece is beautiful but I don't think it will offer the diversity of landscape since in a 10-12 day trip we will only have a chance to see Athens and two-three islands. Santorini is really the big draw for me...it just sounds like a must see but I'm wondering if the islands will feel like the same view for 8 days. Can someone also comment on the cost vs the two... Since Croatia is not on the euro does that mean it will be a lot cheaper? Ok I'm rambling...any advice or feedback would be much appreciated!! I'm the world's worst decision- maker and right now am paralyzed by choice :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

We went to Athens, Santorini and Naxos. Loved the Islands but not Athens (we actually left 2 days early). Didn't see the rest and not itching to go back.

LOVED Croatia and would go back in a heartbeat. I went on a tour of Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Hungary.

The history is amazing and so much recent conflict that it really hits home. Croatia is beatiful (from the upper country areas) to Dubrovnik (stunning). I'd pick Croatia simply for the diversity. But I would see the surrounding countries also and not just Croatia. Yes it is cheaper.

We stop at Crete on a cruise which is the only reason I am here.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 06:32
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

Hi there

It's always going to be a totally subjective thing; for example, I could never understand why anyone wouldn't find Athens a totally absorbing and must-see destination but poster catalyst here above didn't so you can see that it's horses for courses. By the same token, I have visited Croatia a couple of times and although you can't necessarily compare two separate countries, for me, Greece wins hands down every time.

Greece in general has as much, if not more history than anywhere else on the planet and every island is different, whether that be the food, the scenery, the people, the culture or whatever. Greece is the cradle of civilisation, you only have to see how many sciences have their foundations with the ancient Greek scholars.

Islands like Santorini and Ithaca offer jaw-dropping scenery, whilst islands like Crete and Rhodes offer more history than you can shake a stick at. Rhodes in particular has ancient sites of Minoan, Hellenic and medieval origin. Crete is almost a country in its own right, 300 kms long, you could visit Crete for a month every year and still not see everything on offer in 20 years ( we haven't yet).

I think that to help you make a decision, you need to read up on both countries, and make wish lists based on your own preferences, but at some time, it'll be you guys that ultimately make the decision, after all, it's your trip. We can advise all you like but we can't "tell" you which is best, that's for you to decide.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

I absolutely loved Croatia, although this was quite many years ago. It was a sailing trip with our boat, so sailed to Pula, and visited places nearby there.

Having lived in Greece and visited many places there for considerable time, would choose Croatia. It might, possible is still, much cheaper for travellers than Greece, also I found it romantic, also keep in mind every place has its own beauty.

Just my opinion.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 09:55
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

This guy must have Greek heritage. The croatian islands and history are so diverse compared to Greece's mainly moonscspe islands. Croatian islands are also alot easier to island hop as they r closer together. You need to travel too long between islands in Greece

5. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 18:05
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

This guy has Greek heritage- easy to see and I bet ha snot been to Croatia. Croatia wins hand down

Paris, France
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

Greece. In Greece you have bigger option and variety as there are more islands to choose from and they're more diverse. Also if you care about history and culture, very few places in the world can beat Greece.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

I too have been looking at Croatia as a possible destination. My biggest fear is that I will not find the most important reason I return to Greece year after year and that is the fabulous Greek hospitality. I loved Italy for the history and incredible landscape but it missed the mark on hospitality in comparison... a tough decision for sure!

Karen

Moraga, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

mmm, I just came back from Croatia and I must say... it's now my preferred destination in Europe. I haven't been to Greece yet. We are planning Greece for the next couple of years, so I'm researching already. While I'm not qualified to compare the countries since I haven't been to one, I noticed that (1) moving inside Croatia is much easier, (2) Greece does not have a city that can compare to Dubrovnik- in general, you don't go to Greece searching for medieval towns like Dubrovnik, Split's Diocletian Palace, Hvar or Trogir, (3) from Croatia is easy to rent a car and drive to Bosnia and Montenegro -completely different cultures-, (4) Croatia has a lot of well preserved Roman buildings and middle age architecture, so while it's not as old as Greece, the buildings are in much better shape and require less imagination (for example, see Pula Arena or the Diocletian Palace), and (5) people talk a lot about Greek hospitality, which I haven't experienced. Croatians were very friendly though.

10. Re: Greece or Croatia...please help me decide!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16