We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Greek holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st Greek holiday.

My husband and i and my 21 year old daughter want to go to Greece/ Greek Island, in the summer. We like a hotel on or near the beach, with sea views . My daughter and I like gift/,clothes shops within walking distance and we all like some evening entertainment to watch while having a drink. We don't go clubbing. We also like to do a bit of sight seeing. Any suggestions please?

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

Hello littlebubbly8

And welcome to the forum :-)

There are so many places on the mainland and also the islands that would tick all your boxes, my advice would be to have a look at some "general" websites to see if there are any specific historical sites or places that you would like to visit :-) Heres some web sites to get you started on your search

http://www.visitgreece.gr/

lonelyplanet.com/greece/…1010

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will check them out. I have been looking, but there are so many places to look at.I don't want somewhere quiet, but I don't want somewhere with only places in the evening for clubbers.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

Hello littlebubbly888 !

Some important info you did not incluse in your question and could help narrow it down a bit are:

Are you looking on a package or a DIY trip?

Are you happy if some effort is needed to reach your final destination, or you look on direct flights only?

What kind of budget you are after?

What kind of hotel are you interested in?

Besides beach, shopping and evening entertainment (what exactly this means to you? Quiz pub shows, live music and the like or what?) don't you have other interests/requirements?

If beach is that much important, what kind of beach are you after (pebbly, sandy, rocky, organised or not, what kind of facilities)?

More importantly,

When exactly you plan to visit and

For how long ???

In addtion to MG100surrey's links, here are a couple of others you may want to have a look at:

http://www.visitgreece.gr/

http://www.greek-islands.us/

http://www.greeka.com/

That said, I strongly believe that a couple of guidebooks are always great to give you ideas and to help you absorb some info/ideas more in depth than internet sites do. Why not to browse through your local library and see what catch your attention?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

As MG100surrey and mariha2912 mentioned there are many places that you can visit, it depends on what you like more, what is your budget, the period you will travel, for how many days and if you want to go directly from UK or through Athens.

3 places that they can cover your needs as you mention ( to be an island, to have hotels near by the beach with a sea view, having shops within walking distance, having evening entertainment not only clubs and a bit of sight seeing) are: Rhodes, Crete and Corfu.

For sure there are also other islands that someone else can suggest you from TA forum

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

where ever you go to in greece i am sure you will love it it is a land of such total laid back way of life in small places not the cities for sure take a look at crete it is so big and a friendly place to go we went to thassos last year and loved golden beach skala pangia look at the Emerald hotel nice folks with it being a small island it is ver greek another place i would say is Lesvos we like kos island early season june time kefalos is so laid back with enoughfor everyone my first trip to greece was Zante and that was in the early days corfu is another nice island but of all the islands crete south west is my bag warm sea and warm friendly people.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

Thank you all for your replies. It would be a package deal and a 3/4 star hotel in the high season. We would prefer a sandy beach and the entertainment to be shows / live music. We usually go on some sight seeing excursions, but I can usually research them myself once we have chosen our resort.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

HI again

Have you looked at whether you would prefer an island or the mainland?? and did you want to visit any particular sites in Greece???

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

N o, I don't mind, as long as it has our requirements and we have a good holiday. ;)

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

You may want to check Lemnos island, great sandy beaches on some parts, rocky beaches on others, a couple of interesting ancient sites and a very traditional small port town, Myrina. Most popular resorts are located around Myrina. Lemnos is greatly undiscovered, so less hectic in high season. Evening entertenment in hotel is a rather British thing, so you may have to look for deals from UK tour operators.For direct flights/packages, you may want to have a look on Neilson, they have a resort Porto Myrina with decent accomodation and night entertainment.It is aimed mostly for activities holidays (watersports, biking, tennis) but you can do as little or as much as you want. On July/August it is popular with families (large chilcare facilities) but elder teens/young adults are more likely, so your daughter might make new friends. If you are not very enthousiastic about this, you may want to look on Lemnos Village but I am not sure if/which operator they work with this summer.

Other busier option is Lefkas island, maybe looking on parts of Vasiliki gulf for sandy beach. Nydri is a possibility on Lefkas too, but rather averrage pebbly beach there. Many UK operators on Lefkas. A very interesting island with anything you look for, connected to mainland only on a small bridge, so many options for exploration! I vote for Hotel Galini as a good value for money 4* hotel by Greek standards (located between Lygia and Nydri) and I hear good feedback for Best Western Odeon in Vasiliki area. Many many option around the island on B&B or SC basis on appartments etc too.

On my experience almost everywhere else on high season i with direct flights, you will face lots of crowds and not much relaxing. If you are fine with this, you may want to check more straghtforward destinations such as Kos or Rhodes.

10. Re: 1st Greek holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 19:05