We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros or Sterling?

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Euros or Sterling?

Hoorah! We're going back to Greece :0)

Haven't been for 10 years and I can't wait to go back. Since the recent economic situation are there any benefits to taking cash in euros or GBPs?

Pls forgive my ignorance - those money expert sites are so dull!!

10 weeks to Kefalonia :0)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros or Sterling?

take euros & a debit card to use in ATMs. If you take GBP you will need to change it - beware the exchange shops with crippling charges, the banks give a better rate.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros or Sterling?

Hi ppply

Welcome back to Greece.

I order euro's online to be delivered to my local Post Office , if you have any left on your return they will exchange them back to stirling commision free so long as you save the slip.

And like tauntonlady I also take my debit card for emergencies too .

And Stirling to euro exchange was poor in Greece the last time I did it 2 years ago ,

I think it was £1 = 1 euro .

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros or Sterling?

Hi there

We always take all our Euros with us now plus ATM card in case we run out and a credit card for any larger purchases like jewelery and so on. Bear in mind that in some parts of Greece and particularly on the islands, ATMs can be few and far between plus there's always the chance in busy resorts that they might lay empty for a day or so.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros or Sterling?

Thanks folks!

Px

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,357 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros or Sterling?

HI there

We always take euros cash with us and a credit card for emergencies or as GB says...large purchases - as long as your accomodation has a safe then its fine...its just so much more convenient :-)

6. Re: Euros or Sterling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 05:16