We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi, I am visiting Greece by end March / April 2013.

usa
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hi, I am visiting Greece by end March / April 2013.

I will be in Athens for about 4 days in Athens and planning to take a ferry from Athens to Rhodes and stay at one of the resort island for couple of days by beginning of April. Any suggestions regarding whether / food/ travel ? i will be traveling with my son who is 8 years, is it safe there around this time of the year ? How about the restaurants and stores ? are they going to be open ? is it going to be too quite at the island and Athens ? Thanks in advance ....

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi, I am visiting Greece by end March / April 2013.

Hi there

The season doesn't start in earnest until the first week in May, prior to that much of Rhodes' resorts will be very quiet apart from a few large all-inc hotels that might open up early. I have to ask you whether it's worth the time, effort and expense of travelling to Rhodes for two days when there's so much to do and see in and around Athens? Outside of Rhodes Town, the island will be very quiet and the chances are that in late March/early April, the weather will be very changeable. You might get a some warm days or you might just as easily get rain, wind and high seas. It's unlikely to be weather for sunbathing and the sea will be cold too.

if you want to see an island, I would suggest you take a day trip from Piraeus to one of the Saronic Gulf Islands like Aegina, Hydra, Poros or Spetses.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi, I am visiting Greece by end March / April 2013.

Pireus to Rhodes is an 18 hour over-night ferry trip. Ferry schedules on www.gtp.gr

I think you should rather look for a flight.

https://www.olympicair.com/en or http://en.aegeanair.com/

I feel Greece safe all year. Greeks are also very friendly to children (and all others). Restaurants and shops serves the local population, and will be open all year. Athens is always alive, and never too quiet. Small islands, and tourist resorts in all islands, may close down out of season. Towns on large islands with a large all-year population is always "open", in Greece like everywhere else.

3. Re: Hi, I am visiting Greece by end March / April 2013.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 05:16