We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry CLASS Seating - Which class is recommended?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry CLASS Seating - Which class is recommended?

I am traveling through ATHENS - NAXOS - FOLEGANDROS - SANTORINI from July 7th, 2013 - July 17th. I am taking ferries throughout and am looking to book now - primarily BlueStar since it is reliable and cheaper.

I am unfamiliar with ECONOMY CLASS Seating, versus other classes. (i.e. business, airtype seat, first class). Please shed some light on the benefits of the higher classes - I am a seasoned traveler and don't mind something too uncomfortable.

Athens to Naxos is 5 hours. Will economy be fine? I would like to be able to go on the topdeck for fresh air - is that available for all tickets for BLUE STAR?

Naxos to Folegandros is 4 hours. I assume Economy will be fine.

Folegandros to Santorini is 1 hour.

Santorini to Athens can be 5 hours or 8 hours. Do you recommend I do SEA JET fast ferry? Much higher price but looks like 3 hours less travel time. I have been reading the forums and know BlueStar is safer as far as reliability.. Should I just book that last ferry once I get to Santorini? My flight back to the USA is the following day - so I have one final night in Athens before my international flight.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! Couldn't find a forum on this question!

-Torrey, Chicago

www.lifestooshort1.weebly.com

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry CLASS Seating - Which class is recommended?

Economy should be fine- you can go out on deck on the Blue Star ferries. I like business class simply because it's less crowded and there are waiters to bring you drinks/etc.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry CLASS Seating - Which class is recommended?

Here is to give you an idea of the Blue Star ferries:

http://tinyurl.com/399hk6x

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry CLASS Seating - Which class is recommended?

Thank you all for your help!! And thank you for the messaage travelerjan! Posting it here for others to benefit from the detailed great info.:

Blue Star indeed is best ferry to choose ... and will be quite full in July ... but you can buy when you get to Greece, just don't wait until day before sailing.

What class to buy?? I prefer Economy Reserved (about €4 more than plain Economy) -- sometimes called "Aircraft seating." THis gives you best options; you're RESERVED for an inside numbered seat ... lean-back, upholstered (and WIDE, with leg-room, NOT like actual airplanes!). If you have a choice, ask for seating in side cabins; these are smaller & quieter ... the central area is more like a theatre; 250+seats, 2 aisles, TV always on.

BUT -- you need not sit here continually; you can sit out on deck in plastic chairs (be at dock EARLY, so you can scramble for best deck seats), and enjoy the sky & the wake and even sunsets ... then, when you want to nap, you can go inside & claim your numbered seat. NOTE: you may find a "squatter" in your reserved seat, a little old Greek lady with lots of packages. Don't attempt to evict her, just go find a steward to take care of it. Enjoy!

Many people do like business class, which has plump "club chairs" seated around tables. But if you want to snooze, I find you can't in those chairs, because there's no head-rest. Just my experience.

4. Re: Ferry CLASS Seating - Which class is recommended?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:16