We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather for swimming

canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Topic
Weather for swimming

Hi I'll be in Kineta beach, not far from Athens, from May 26th to June 3rd. What can I expect in terms of water temperatures in the sea and pools. Will it be too cold or fine for swimming? Please give me an idea. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather for swimming

Hey and welcome Tom S:-) Coming from Canada, don't think you'll find it uncomfortabl;-) I swim in the Atlantic at the Jersey Shore and have handled the waters on the Greek isles as early as April and as late as Nov (but that was in Crete when it was 80F;-) Really up to your own personal tolerance;-) The waters tend to be warmest come Aug/Sept after being sun-kissed all Summer long.. they only start warming up in May so it can still be on the 'chill' side.. but certainly doable.. and enjoyable!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather for swimming

We usually visit in very early June and while the sea feels cool initially, it is certainly doable since I swim every single day. Pools are not usually heated, but can be colder than the sea or warmer depending on how much sun shines on it each day. Have a great trip.

Karen

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather for swimming

Ok you are embarrassing the rest of us Canadians The water in Greece in May is as warm as it gets in Canada in August.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather for swimming

It's been a mild winter and the sea hasn't cooled as much as it normally would and I've seen people swimming already. You wouldn't get me in there yet though!

canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather for swimming

Thanks guys... :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather for swimming

Our pleasure:-) Keep enjoyin'!

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather for swimming

Does anybody have actual water temps for May in Crete?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather for swimming

About 20 I would think. I always think that by the 3rd week of May it's the same as the hottest it ever gets in the UK!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather for swimming

OK, no need to take my word for it:

www.holiday-weather.com/crete/averages/

Still, what's a degree or so - I was close!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather for swimming

I'm Canadian and I rarely find it comfortable to swim in Greece in May. I could count on one hand the number of times I have been able to even just wade in the sea in May since 2004. But I can say that, in May 2011, I was actually able to take a dip at one of the beaches in Glyfada. With luck, things will be similar at Kineta again this spring.