We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sporades Vs Cyclades

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sporades Vs Cyclades

Hi

My boyfriend and I are looking to go island hopping for two weeks this summer. Due to work commitments etc we are pretty much tied down to the last week of aug, first week of sept.

We have narrowed it down to either the Sporades or the Cyclades. As there is only so far google can take you, any first and experience / advice over which one would be 'better' would be much appreciated. Budget, scenery and seclusion are all factors.

Thanks so much, any help would be really appreciated!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sporades Vs Cyclades

Hey and welcome Anna C:-) You're going at about the best time possible.. end August blending into Sept is as good as it gets;-) The Cyclades (depending on which isles you're looking at) are the popular bunch and usually on a 1st timers itinerary.. they are extremely popular due to ease of access.. and some remain popular and stay busy longer.. Santorini and Mykonos being the 2 predominent isles of the group that are the most popular with visitors but there are many others in the group!

The Sporades on the other hand (Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos.. there's also Skyros;-) are lush, green with spectacular crystal clear/tuqouise waters.. no barren isles here;-) Skiathos being the most popular having an airport with lots of direct package/deal flights from UK/Europe.. once you head out to Skopelos.. Alonissos.. the quieter it gets.. especially as you get into Sept which is my fave month basing in Skopelos;-)

As far as which is best.. only you'll be able to tell us that;-) Again, the Cyclades offer a number of isles to choose from.. the 3 Sporades are all close to each other making for isle hoping between them a piece of cake.. barely 15 min to get from one to the other! You can even base in and do daytrips to the others.. with 2 weeks, you'd have enough time to base at all 3.. up to you and your travel style, prefs, etc;-)

I've only been to Tinos, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Ios and Santorini in the Cyclades.. there are loads more isles in the group .. and when I ended up hitting the Sporades (after Ionian, Dodonecasse, etc), I finally felt like I made it home, lol!! But then again, that's me.. my prefs! We all have our personal faves.. some folks that love one particular isle may not be to another's liking! It's all a personal call.. personal experiences;-) All have a uniqueness.. Hope I helped.. somewhat, lol?;-) Am sure others will kick in here who will offer their advise/suggestions that may better help you in making a deciion;-) All the best.. Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,973 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sporades Vs Cyclades

Hi,

Depends to some extent exactly where you are from. From the UK it is no actual point in making the comparison as there are direct flights to each group, so just do them in different years, and see for yourself.

With 4 Sporades and 20 or so Cyclades of varying prices, scenery and seclusion. Just about an impossible 'better' comparison scenario results.

Generally:

1) Sporades of Skiathos/Skopelos/Alonissos are easier on ferry links and shorter, apart from Skyros.

2) The Sporades are much more packagy, Euro-countries with direct flights dominated, rather than the Cyclades which are rightly so the favourite of independent backpackers Island Hopping from many diverse countries around the world.

3) Different atmosphere due to the previous comments which in the Cyclades varies from island to island some are very touristy whilst others are little visited, or maybe a favourite with someone, or might be for Greek mainlander weekends, archeological buffs, hikers, and so on.

4) Scenery wise three of the Sporades islands Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos are rather similar thus not a lot of variety, they are however greener than the Cyclades. Ironically Skyros is rather Cycladic in appearance, one of those oddities of the group and if you go there adds to the variety.

5) The Cyclades have maybe the most diverse selection of islands in respect of all your terms of budget, scenery, seclusion. But again that can be dependent on where you stay on those islands so it's not cut and dried.

Last year I did the Sporades, and the year before some Cyclades. However I started this over 25 years ago I've not ever bothered with 'better' at all. The decision is just a whim of fancy in any year.

The time of year you have to go is a minus point because it's hi-season, more people, and the high prices of accommodation around that time, and the neccesity to book most things.

3. Re: Sporades Vs Cyclades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 06:17