We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

I'm trying to figure out what to do regarding ferry vs. flying from Santorini to Athens. The ferry will take about 8 hours, and will arrive into Athens around 11:15 pm. The faster ferry, for more money, got in at 11:55 pm. I'm not excited about getting in so late (even the 11:15) because we have a 1/2 day tour of Athens the next day with a 7:30 am pickup. I'm hesitant to arrive so late (and that's just to the port, not the hotel), especially with a chance that the ferry could be even later. I don't want to be wiped out for the tour the next day.

The flight would cost an additional Euro106 per person. However, the weight allowance on our baggage is less than the 50 lbs. we are allowed on the international flight. I can't remember what the exact allowance is, but I think it was 44 pounds. This could get very pricey, between paying for the flight, and the excess baggage fees.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

20 kilo checked baggage allowance is pretty much the standard on all flights within Europe excluding the low-cost airlines. There is no escape from that and the only suggestion for transatlantic travellers is to bring less luggage. I'm not sure which high speed ferry you are looking at (Seajet?) and on what date but in the summer there is the 12:10 Highspeed 6 arriving in Piraeus at 16:30.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

Ahhhh, not so easy to travel light when you are bringing 2 teenage girls along!! I will ask the agent we booked with about that earlier ferry. Thanks!

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

One other question, how much do you pay if the luggage goes over the allotted weight?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

You need to look up that particular airline T&Cs, airlines can charge different amounts for excess luggage.

Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

For the ferries I suggest to use this site: openseas.gr

Santorini Athens by fast ferry is not that bad unless you need to reach the airport, in this case a more expensive flight would be much better and less stressing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

.. it's basically a 6 lb difference.. usually waived if you're connecting off your trans for an onward flight which in this case, is not! Don't know how much you plan on bringing.. but bear in mind chances are the girls will be doing some shopping too.. so try and balance it out somehow;-) FWIW, I've heard this has worked on occassion.. you can tell them when you check in that you're traveling trans and show them your int'l ticket! I've heard it's worked a couple of times but have no personal experience since I usually travel lighter going and more 'packed' on the return but never exceeded the limit! Best.. and enJOY!

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

We could go on a beach vacation where you're in a bathing suit all day, and wear a top and pair of shorts for literally 3 or 4 hours at night, and my girls won't repeat an outfit. Drives me insane! I suppose I could tell them that THEY have to pay for any extra fees! Still haven't decided if we'd rather save the airfare anyway, and just take the ferry.

8. Re: Ferry vs. Flying Santorini to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:16