We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece as a young couple

4 posts
Save Topic
Greece as a young couple

Hi there!

My girlfriend and I are in our early 20's and are visiting Greece for the first time from may 24 until June 3. We land in chania, crete and have made no plans or booked anything. We have read a bit about what to do in Crete and on a general level what islands to go to.

Tentatively we plan on Crete for 4 days, santorini for 2.5, Mykonos for 2.5, and then Athens for a day or less.

What we are looking for is a semi-romantic trip that includes plenty of beaches, some nature, and an excursion or two. History and sight seeing isn't our number one priority. We also appreciate nice young social scenes but aren't particularly interested in the crazy drunk party scene. We are on a budget, not super tight, but well be paying close attention to our spending.

1. Does our tentative plan sound like it fits with our priorities?

2. Any suggestions on relatively cheap accommodations with private rooms at these places? I heard it may be worth not booking and arriving looking to negotiate and meet hotel and hostel owners there as it seems to be a "guest's market" these day

3. I don't know very much about Crete. We were thinking about renting a scooter to get around, but it may be too big of an island to scooter, especially from Chania to Heraklion (where we would need to get the ferry to santorini from)

Hope somebody can help!

Thank you :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece as a young couple

Hi there

For a couple on a budget you have chosen the two most expensive islands in Greece, Santorini and Mykonos. Is there any specific reason why you have chosen these three?Bear in mind too that each time you move to a new location, you will use up the better part of a full day. So, with your proposed itinerary, you have three domestic journeys to make, Irakion-Santorini, Santorini-Mykonos and Mykonos-Athens.

Looking at your dates, and assuming that the first and final days are part days for arrival and departure, you actually have just nine full days and that's simply nowhere close to being enough time to take in Athens plus three islands, indeed, you could easily spend all your available time on Crete. I would have a rethink on this, drop one island, even drop Crete and look at alternative islands within the Cyclades chain, pick two, and save two full days for Athens at the end of the trip.

Or, drop Santorini and Mykonos, maximise your time on Crete and save a day or two for Athens

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece as a young couple

Have a look here .http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/nature/paths.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 08:45
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece as a young couple

Thank you for the advice!

I wasn't aware santorini and Mykonos were very expensive. We had looked at accommodation and the prices seemed great to us.

We are landing in Crete so we are committed to that. Maybe we can do one more island. We don't really have the desire to really travel Athens though.

4. Re: Greece as a young couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:18