We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from London to Greece Car trip

Dallas, Texas
11 posts
Save Topic
Travel from London to Greece Car trip

Thinking of flying into London as a base and renting car from there to travel down thru Rhine, Prague, Budapest, continuing either thru Croatia and Macedonia or Venice or Amalfi coast to Greece. Tentative itinerary. Is it better to fly? Or take a train? 4 adults and 4 kids under 12 traveling. Have travelled by car from London thru Barcelona, Monaco, Rome, Venice, Amsterdam 15 years ago and loved it! Enjoyed the flexibility of driving thru south of France. Any suggestions are welcome. This drive will be longer. Also not sure of the road conditions and safety thru Eastern Europe ie Romania, Croatia, Macedonia. Thanks. Trip is a month mid July. Will spend 2 days in each place approx... Play it spontaneously. Thanks

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

You'd need to check first with the rental company to find out what countries you can drive in. Of the countries you mention, Macedonia is likely to be a no-no as UK insurance is not valid there unless things have changed in the last couple of years. Same goes for Serbia.

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
575 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

If you hire a car in the UK, remember that it will be right-hand drive.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

You can certainly forget about driving through Croatia and Macedonia or any other non-EU country. It is no so much about road conditions or safety as the point blank refusal by rental companies to let their cars be driven outside the EU. I do not believe UK car rentals are more relaxed about it than the ones here in the region.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

Hi there

You say you will have four young kids in tow, eight people in all so you would need an 8-9 seater people carrier which will be very expensive to hire. How will those kids feel about spending the best part of a month in a car? When mine were young, they were car crazy after a couple of hours.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

I agree with GB, as a general rule long car journeys and young children are not a good mix. If you have a month a much better option would be to fly to Greece and spend your time experiencing this fantastic country. In my opinion of course. :-)

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
575 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

Yes - definitely fly!

There are no international trains to Greece currently.

Dallas, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

Thanks something to look into. I think we can avoid going thru Serbia. Otherwise we just go thru Italy.

Thanks

Dallas, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

Have driven right hand (both me and my husband ... should get used to it in a few hours :)

Dallas, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

Maybe combining Eurail with driving might be a better option. We might need to stick to Italy. Still trying to figure out the best way to travel. Kids are used to driving long distance living in Texas! lol

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from London to Greece Car trip

The point is that if you hire a car in the UK it will be right hand drive because here we drive on the left; but then as soon as you cross the Channel to the rest of Europe you will be driving on the right, just like in the USA, so you'll be sitting on the 'wrong' side of the car. It is do-able but will be an annoyance. Might be better to cross from London to France on Eurostar via the tunnel, then hire a car.