We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clueless?

Evesham, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Clueless?

I am aware lots of people ask questions of where to go so I will try to be succinct:

I am a 41 year old (female) and my son is 22

Our first holiday holiday just the two of us

1st week of September 2013

We want somewhere guaranteed hot and sunny every day,a beach with watersports i.e. banana boats, paragliding,a waterpark nearby would be nice, close to a resort centre (walking distance) with nice restaurants and bars (not party central but enough going on if we want it). I would like some nice scenery and historic sites but mainly we need a rest and chill out.

I have done some research and Crete, Rhodes and Cyprus seem to fit the bill.

We have not been to Greece or Cyprus before, previously holidaying in Spain, The Canaries, Balearics, Italy and Florida and so would like to visit somewhere new.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clueless?

Hi there and welcome

Firstly, I think it's only right to say that you can never guarantee the weather anywhere at anytime. Crete in early September is more often than not, dry, hot and sunny, it's when we usually visit the island and we've never had a less than perfect day, although we do occasionally have a bit of cloud at that time of the year, but nothing to worry about.

Secondly, what type of accommodation are you after? It ranges from luxury hotels to simple, self-catering apartments so if you could say, it would help.

On re-reading your wish list, I would suggest, as a place to start, that you look at Stalis in Crete and Pefkos on Rhodes, both lively without being OTT. Both have great beaches, plenty of bars, shops and restaurants, easy to get around from either via local buses. Stalis is very close to Star Beach Waterpark which sits at the western end of the resort, and it is also within a 15 min ride from the waterpark at Acquaplus. Lots of watersports in both Stalis and Pefkos.

Pefkos and Stalis are within easy reach of various ancient sites as well as other great sights and attractions. I assume you wish to book a package deal? - if so, have a chat with your travel agent, tell him the type of accommodation you want and let him earn his money. Alternatively, do a bit of Googling for both places and see what you think, or just pick up some brochures from the agent, and have a good look through.

If you are intending to book things independently, i.e. not through an agent, then be aware that the closer you get to September, the more expensive flights will be.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clueless?

if you want sunny weather you have to play the odds.and crete is the safest choice.

Evesham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clueless?

Thank you so much GB and athanasios m for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

So my son and I have had a good trawl through everything this evening and have decided it is definitely Stalis. Pefkos for sure at some point in the future but I am trying to be as assured as I can be of sunshine and for that reason Crete seems the safest bet.

We would like self catering purely because we think we would be bored eating at the same place every night and would like to try different places and meet different people. it seems there are a pretty good selection of eateries in the resort.

I am currently doing the donkey work of trawling through self catering apartments. We would like somewhere pretty central, doesn't have to be fancy just clean, have air con and a decent pool (and cold beer).

Any recommendations would be gratefully received, if not then I thank you for your help thus far folks x

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,822 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clueless?

Hi Rachael

If you've decided on Stalis, why not re-post on the Stalis forum, where the Stalis experts (npj60 for instance, who knows more about Stalis than the rest of us put together times 10) will definitely see it? That way you are more likely to find the info you need. Many people on here don't manage to be able to look at the main Greece forum, only the ones for their particular destination.

5. Re: Clueless?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 July 2017, 21:22
6. Re: Clueless?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 July 2017, 21:22
Edited: 28 July 2017, 21:22
Evesham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Clueless?

Wow thank you all for your help and advice.

npj60 that was great, thank you so much for taking the trouble to post.

A few questions:

I am torn between Sunshine apartments, La luna and Latania. Does anyone know which has the biggest pool? Also there seem to be a lot of trees at Latania which could possibly block the sun?

Do one bedroom apartments always have twin beds or would I have to ring and check. When I go through the booking process of any of the hotels it doesn't say if it is a double or twin and as much as I love my son, I really don't want to share :-)

I am guessing aircon is always an additional cost payable on arrival.

Travel Republic seem to have some good deals. Is it pretty standard to have to book airport transfers as an additional cost?

Sorry for all the queries.

Many thanks folks x

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,822 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clueless?

yes, thanks npj60 from me as well

9. Re: Clueless?

Removed on: 28 July 2017, 21:23
Edited: 28 July 2017, 21:23
Evesham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Clueless?

npj60 you are a star!

Thank you so much for all that information, it really helpful. I have trusted your judgement and have gone ahead and booked at La Luna 1!

I have not booked airport transfers because we have day flights albeit on a Sunday which I trust won't be a problem.

My first trip to Greece after wanting to go for years and I am very much looking forward to it.

Many thanks again npj60 and to everyone else who gave me help and advice on this x