We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regular Ferry v. High Speed Boat to Piraeus

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
671 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Regular Ferry v. High Speed Boat to Piraeus

I'm trying to decide which of the following to book from Santorini to Piraeus on July 6. We can take the BlueStar ferry for Euro42, which departs at 3:30 pm, arriving at 11:15 pm. The other choice is the high speed boat, which departs at 12:10pm and arrives at 4:30pm for Euro59.

We have an early pickup for a 1/2 day tour of Athens the next day (7:30 am pickup).

I don't know whether to be more concerned about arriving so late the night before an early pickup, or the possibility that either boat could be delayed or cancelled because of bad weather. The fact that the ferry is almost 8 hours and the high speed boat is less than 4 1/2 hours seems to make the high speed boat more appealing. It also arrives at a much more reasonable hour. Is there something I am missing by not taking what seems to be the obvious choice?

We had considered flying, but have ruled out that choice due to financial considerations.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Regular Ferry v. High Speed Boat to Piraeus

As long as you are not fazed by the price and no outdoor deck to ramble about during the journey (you will only be allowed onto a very small one when the ferry calls at Ios), the high speed ferry (Highspeed6) is a good choice. If it is cancelled you can aways take the later Blue Star but in really bad weather no ferry will sail.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regular Ferry v. High Speed Boat to Piraeus

The Bluestar 15:30 is 37.50 €, and Bluestar overnight 01:25 arr 08:00 is 37:50 €.

The latter would be my choice as it gives you the earliest arrival and a day in Athens.

The Bluestars or the Highspeed are large and very unlikely to be cancelled.

3. Re: Regular Ferry v. High Speed Boat to Piraeus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:16