We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece - Need Help With 9 Day Itinerary

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Greece - Need Help With 9 Day Itinerary

My husband and I are traveling to Italy and Greece in September. We are spending nine days covering Rome Florence and Venice after which we are planning to fly to Greece and spend nine days there.

However, after doing research I am really confused on what we should cover and how to do so in nine days. We are flying out of Athens and so we would be spending the last two nights there. I was looking at Santorini, Crete, Delphi, Meotora, Mykonos (We are not party people so might skip Mykonos).

I am also confused between choosing between the main land and the islands. Here is a rough itinenary:

September 12-20 - Italy

September 20th- Fly into Greece (We can fly into any of the islands or Athens)

September 29th - Fly out of Athens (Our flight from Athens back to our home country is already booked)

Now between 20th and 29th what all do we cover? Crete looks beautiful and I really did want to spend 4 nights or so there (though I hear you need two weeks to cover it all) and even Santorini looks beautiful so was thinking 2 nights there and maybe 2 nights in Athens. But what about Delphi and Meotora? Are they a must see? Or are we missing something else on the main land that we should definetely cover?

Also note we are flying from Asia and this is most likely our only trip to Greece as we generally end up visiting one country just once and so we want to cover all the best we can in Greece and not leave out anything as not sure if we will have a 'next time'.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece - Need Help With 9 Day Itinerary

Greece has enough "must sees" to easily fill a 9 month trip.

But with 9 days, if you like the looks of Santorini (its views are among the most impressive of any place I've been), then 2 nights would be good, especially if you can fly direct from Italy. Then, to get a feel for a more traditional part of Greece, go to the nearby island of Naxos and rent a car for your time there. It has a little of everything, including a decent Greek temple, traditional villages, and nice beaches. Then your last two nights in Athens. While Delphi is a must see, I was very disappointed in the day trip I took there - I feel like I have to return to really appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Italy
Italy
Europe
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece - Need Help With 9 Day Itinerary

Thanks you are mentioning Naxos but I had been thinking of Crete....really wanted to visit Crete -will four days be good to cover one part of it.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,173 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece - Need Help With 9 Day Itinerary

Hi,

Crete is a massive island with many, many places of interest to visit. You could base yourselves at one of the major towns on the north coast for four days, quite possibly Iraklion, especially if you are interested in visiting Knossos.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Piraeus, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece - Need Help With 9 Day Itinerary

Hi

9 days for all these destinations are small amount of time .

If you have to choose between Delfi and Meteora ,i would choose Delfi cause its reachable as a day trip from Athens (about 2 hours by car).You can also visit Galaxidi (30 min from Delfi by car) a picturesque town suitable for eating and having a relaxing cofee by the sea.

Meteora althought its a fantastic place ,is about 6 hours with bus from Athens,so you will have half of your day and maybe more, on the road.

Hope i help :)

Mentioned in this post
Meteora
Meteora
4,091 Reviews
Kastraki, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Galaxidi
Galaxidi
Phocis Region, Greece
5. Re: Greece - Need Help With 9 Day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19