We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Hi TA crew,

My husband and I have had a recent stroke of inspiration and have decided to change our original plans (from 3 weeks Greece + Morocco) to 3 weeks Greece only. To be fair, this change of heart was prompted by the ridiculous price increase in flights due to our late planning for this trip. But in retrospect I'm really pleased to stay in Greece the whole time. So we've essentially got 22 nights, flying into Athens on 19 August and out of Athens on 10 September. We're in our late 20's, active, into outdoors/hiking/photography, a moderate amount of historical sights, and want a bit of beach-going thrown in for good measure.

This is what I have so far:

3 nights Athens

Hire car, drive to Mt Olympus area, stay overnight in the area before hiking Mt Olympus, 1 night in refuge, 1 night in area after hike

Drive to Napflio (is this realistic? Google maps says 6.5hrs, but goes via Athens. I'm happy to split this trip up, perhaps with an overnight somewhere along the way)

2 nights Napflio

2 nights Monemvasia

2 nights Kardamyli

Drive Kardamyli-Athens then fly to Crete (hopefully this is possible in one day)

7 nights Crete (including Heraklion and Chania, with Samaria Gorge hike one day) - likely hire car while on Crete

Hydrofoil/ferry to Santorini

3 nights Santorini

Fly Santorini-Athens then home (on the same day)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Hi,

Despite the amount of travelling involved your plan is doable. Which mountain refuge do you plan on staying at near Olympus ? It is a good idea to telephone in advance and reserve a bed. I don't know the time of the last flight from Athens to Crete but I am sure it will be possible to travel there in one day from Kardamili. Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time at Athens airport for your return journey to Australia.

You certainly will be visiting some nice places, the hike up Olympus is amazing as are the hikes below Taygetus in the Kardamili area.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

I was looking at staying in Litochoro the night before the hike (was looking at To Palio Litohoro Hotel), then staying overnight at refuge A, then again in Litochoro the night after the hike.

I had been looking at staying in Chania for 4 nights and Heraklion for 3 nights while on Crete, but I've come across Eleona's Cottages in Zaros, and wondered whether it would be nice to stay there instead of Heraklion. Does anyone have any thoughts about that idea?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

iraklion is very big ,if i were you i would spent all my days in crete in chania,which is smaller,more picturesque and overalll better than iraklion.sorry i can't help you with the timetable though ...

other than that you are looking for some great places.. chania,monemvasia (stay in the castle,amazing),santorini,nafplio..i envy you.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Hi,

Litochoro is a nice place to stay. Once you leave the area there is no need to drive all the way to Athens though. I believe there is a good road south of Thiva which you can take as a short cut on to the main Athens - Corinth road, others can better advise on this. Chanea is a nice place to stay and by far the best place to do the Samaria Gorge hike from.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Hi zenzen,

Just one thought. What happens if your plane from Santorini to Athens is delayed or cancelled?

Perhaps alter your itinerary so that you "do" Athens at the end. That way if the plane is delayed you will not miss your flight to home.

Bob

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Thanks Bob, that's a good suggestion. Although there's worse things than being stuck in Greece... :-)

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
803 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Have a good look at the Crete Forum. It may not be necessary or practical to hire a car on Crete for the whole time if you are going to hike the Samaria Gorge and end up in Chora Sfakion where getting a bus to Rethymnon may be the best option. I would not recommend any more time in Heraklion except to see Knossos and prepare for the boat. Note as well you may be better flying from Athens to Chania but the flights will not be as frequent as the flights to Heraklion.

Enjoy - I am going to be in the Cyclades roughly the same time and we are really looking forward to it and the Greek food

8. Re: A new plan - 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:17