We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Month long visit

Eaton Rapids
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Month long visit

My 70 year old mother wants to fulfill a livelong dream of going to Greece. She wants to spend about a month and has asked me to help her with the details. She is too scared to rent a car so she will be depending on public transportation. She is not the type to sit on a beach but she will want to see the sights and meet people from Greece.

Would Athens be a good area for her to rent a place for a month and make day trips from? Or is there a more central location with public transportation. I am also concerned for her safety and would like advice on good locations for my mother to stay. She wants to go this September. Thanks for any help

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Month long visit

I would suggest she stays in the beautiful town of Nafplio. There is lots to see and do in the town itself and in the surrounding area, including the ancient sites at Epidavros and Mycenae which can be reached by public transport or an organised tour. She might want to spend a few days in Athens at the beginning or end of her trip, to see the main sights and museums. Lots of info here: visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Home.html

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Month long visit

I'd suggest staying in more than one place, otherwise she will really restrict herself as far as seeing any islands are concerned.

Nafplio would certainly be good for about a week, and while one can certainly visit the likes of Mycenae and Epidavros from there, generally doing the Peloponnese by public transport is quite difficult, and not much fun.

As for islands, Sifnos, Paros and Naxos are easy enough to do by bus. Milos, however, is difficult.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Month long visit

Hey and welcome outdoor4fun:-) Sounds wonderful.. and a month is good enough amount of time to get a good feel/taste of the Country.. Sept is a fantastic month to boot;-) I agree with that amount of time, she can easily stay/base in a couple of areas.. along with possibly an isle visit;-) Basing in Athens for the entire month will limit what she can see/experience.. there are only so many places you can do on day trips.. and some are lengthy taking up a good part of a day in transport just getting there and back!

I'm guessing since this has been a lifelong dream, she must have some kind of wishlist in mind:-) Sites are scattered throughout the County.. I'd start there and see how you can plan out an itinerary from there.. the Country may look small on a map but covers loads of turf.. not to mention the dozens of isles.. a virtual pandora's box of choices;-) Bit more info would help us help you;-) Enjoy!

Eaton Rapids
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Month long visit

Thanks so much for the answers. I have put my Mom in touch with Travelerjan and I think that will answer a lot of my Mom's questions. The reason I thought of her staying in one place for a month was to keep the cost down with a long term rental. However it sounds like that might not be the best option. I know I will have more questions once I get a better idea of what my Mom wants. Thanks for the quick answers

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Month long visit

Our pleasure outdoor4fun:-) Let us know how the planning goes.. keep enjoyin'!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Month long visit

Getting around the Peloponnese in a few days using public transport wouldn't be much fun. With a whole month, it's a completely different ball game. You just need to try to work out a reasonable route.

A few days in Nafplio, a few in Sparti for access to Mystras, Monemvasia, Gythio, bus from Sparti to Kalamata for access to the Mani, bus to Pyrgos for Olympia, bus back to Athens with time to spare for a few days on a couple of islands. Not at all difficult.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Month long visit

What kind of traveller is your mom? Does she like to make the arrangements herself and travel on her own, or would she be more comfortable in groups? I ask this because there are several Athens-based tour companies that put together sightseeing tours that suit many people. That would be especially good for the mainland, given that your mother doesn't want to rent a car. She could base herself in Athens for part of the month and take tours from there. Check out:

http://www.chatours.gr

http://www.keytours.gr

http://www.gotours.com.gr

http://www.athens-walks.com

For the islands its easy enough to make your own arrangements, use ferries to get there, and public transport on the islands themselves.

8. Re: Month long visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:17