We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Glasgow
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
money

We are going to Alikes in sept is it better to take Euros notes or English? Is it easy to exchange?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

Take a debit card and get euros out of ATMs.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Hi there

I would take enough Euros to last the first couple of days whilst you get your bearings. You'll probably want to stock your fridge with some beers and other bits and pieces and maybe pay the apartment owner for a safety deposit box.

Bromyard, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

UK exchange rate tends to be a bit better than in resort, so I'd take Euros with me and keep in the safety deposit box with a debit card for the ATMs as a back up.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

That's what we've done now for the past few years. It avoids having to find an ATM, avoids any charges your card issuer makes for the transactions and avoids you running out of cash should the ATM be empty or not working.

And of course, you can buy your Euros over here commission free.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 15:40
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

I dont like to carry a lot of cash, ecpesially not while on travel. It has never been a deal finding an ATM. They are almost everywhere, even in the tiniest islands. For me they always gives the best rate, and my bank doesn't charge anything for the transactions, only the normal 1,75% on top of the international exchange rate.

6. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 07:18