We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itinerary (Critics Please)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
My itinerary (Critics Please)

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Greece and Switzerland in the second week of August. As you can imagine, there are lots of connections and different modes of transportation involves and that makes me feel uneasy with regards to feasibility. So I'd like to run my itinerary by you guys and hear you thoughts on it.

6th Aug Arrives Athens at 11:50am

7th Aug Leaves Athens to Zakynthos with Morning bus from Kiffisos terminal

8th,9th Aug Spend time in Zakynthos

Activities - Navagio Beach, Limnionas, Keri Caves, scuba diving, blue cave

10th Aug Leaves Zakynthos to Athens (7:30am bus)

11th Aug Leaves Athens to Santorini with morning ferry

12,13 Aug Spend time in Santorini

14th Aug Leaves Santorini to Athens with morning ferry

15th Aug Leaves Athens to Geneva

15,16,17,18,19 Aug Spend time in Geneva

20th Aug Leaves Geneva to Paris

21st Aug Spend time in Paris

22nd Aug Leaves Paris

If I want to cross to Zakynthos on Aug 6th, is it doable or I wouldn't be able to catch the last ferry at Kilini? And Is it doable if I want to go to Santorini from Zakynthos on the same day instead of taking a night off in Athens? I appreciate much all your inputs.

Thanks

Edited: 17 July 2013, 07:40
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

Why, coming all the way from Ottawa, would you want to spend 0 time in a place that has been here for at least 35 centuries?

All in all seems doable, but it's definitely a paradox you are trying to eliminate Athens from the list.

Other than that, if you wanted to make things more simple, you should fly between Athens and Zakynthos, instead of the bus / ferry trip. It won't be a huge price difference. Olympic Air flies the route.

http://tinyurl.com/AthensAttractions-English

https://www.olympicair.com/en

Edited: 17 July 2013, 08:02
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

I think you spend much time travelling with very much backtracking. Are there some special reason for the a bit odd combination of Zakynthos and Santorini ? It would more wise to change one of them with another island not that far away and with easier transport. I would also say Athens deserves more time, and Santorini maybe less.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

I'm out of breath just reading your itinerary. You'll need another holiday to get over this one. You have virtually no time in Athens, one of the most historic and lovely cities in Europe. Why Zakynthos and Santorini, they are so far apart and you waste lots of time travelling to them.

You have just one full day in Paris, another beautiful city. What's the point in that? I'd have a serious rethink about all of this.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

Thank guys for all you input.

@nick_arch : I would love to spend time in Athens. However, I've seen Rome and Florence. Although it may not be fair comparison, I assume they are similar to some extent. But I've never seen beautiful beaches especially like the one in Zakynthos. So I thought I should focus more on what I haven't seen yet. As for flying instead of bussing and ferrying to Zakynthos and Santorini from Athens, I've looked into that and it costs about twice more - about 150 Euro vs 66 Euro and 260 Euro vs 120 Euro unless if there's cheaper alternative.

@Periscope : My rationale behind adding two places located on the opposite side is that I've never seen clear water, white sand beaches. If you know of comparable beaches that of Zakynthos around Santorini, that'd be awesome. Because I wouldn't need to squander my time traveling the opposite end.

@GBfromDevizes : I've changed my itinerary since this post. Here's an update

6th Athens

7th Athens – Zakythos

8th,9th Zakythos

10th Zakythos – Athens

11th Athens – Santorini

12th,13th Santorini

14th Santorini – Athens

15th , 16th Athens

17th Athens – Vienna

18th,19th Vienna

20th Vienna-Paris

21st,22nd Paris

As in my reply to Periscope, I haven't seen awesome beaches but I've seen culturally rich places like Rome, Florence. So I'm focusing more on it then spending time in Athens. If you know awesome beaches around Santorini comparable to that of Zakynthos, please do suggest because that would significantly cut of traveling time.

I agree I should give more days in Paris. However, it's most affordable place to fly from where I live. So I thought I should save it for the next trip.

Again thanks guys.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 15:30
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

I have never been to Zakynthos, so it is hard for me to compare the beaches. What I do know, is that the crystal-clear water of Zakynthos will be the same crystal-clear water anywhere in Greece. And if an awesom beach is what you are looking for, you wil certainly find some of the kind on Paros, Naxos, Koufonissi and Milos, to mention a few of those I know best.

Take a look at a review and some great photos from Naxos, given by a fellow-Canadian. Naxos is 2 hours with ferry from Santorini, on the route to Pireus.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189431-i1324-k667…

Edited: 20 July 2013, 16:09
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

You need to know that Navagio beach is NOT soft white sand but gritty and sharp gravel!

I'm going to be brutally honest and say your itinerary is crazy. I'd cut out both Zakinthos and Santorini, have fewer days in Hydra, but add Poros and/or Spetse. And definitely add NFplio - pen of the nicest towns in all of Greece, and the ancient site of Mycenae.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 17:25
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

Hey and welcome AnthonyhhNine-) Although I don't see Hydra mentioned anywhere in your itinerary, I have to agree with Nick and would just bite the bullet and fly! You'll save loads of precious time.. avoid backtracking (especially having to plan that overnight in Athens in between isles.. consider the the added cost of accommodations/transport to/from port, etc..;-) Keep the itinerary running consecutively.. it'll save you precious time .. coming the distance, well worth the expense;-) Just to add, although I've been to Paris a couple of times.. only once to Vienna and would love to return.. fabulous City IMO;-) EnJOY!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

After considering all your inputs, I decided to drop Zakynthos from the list. It just too much out of way.

@Periscope : I'll do research on you destinations. Thanks!

@Anninhk : I can't take out Santorini from my list because it's highlight. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Litsa : Using flight would go above and beyond my budget. I need to stay within limit. I wish I could though. And thanks for the suggestions and welcome!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

Naxos seems as a really good option.

It's on the ferry route connecting Santorini and Athens, so logistically works, without adding another stay in Athens.

Regarding Greece part of the trip explore an:

Athens -> Santorini -> Naxos -> Athens or an:

Athens -> Naxos -> Santorini -> Athens.

Both work. Santorini is a longer ferry ride, so it's a matter of when you want the longer ride in.

Ferry routes here: www.openseas.gr

Leave a day in Athens or the Athens portion of the trip at the tail before your intl flight.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My itinerary (Critics Please)

Our pleasure AnthonyhhNine:-) Keep us posted on the plannin'.. keep enjoyin'!