We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must buy stuff when in greece..?

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Topic
Must buy stuff when in greece..?

Hi..I live in india and I m going 2 greece on a holiday..can any1 tell me must buys when in greece..

Like when u go 2 singapore or malasiya u buy electronic stuff..coz its much cheaper than in india..

Thnx in advance :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

Hi there

Do you mean expensive goods or just lightweight stuff to take back as gifts?

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

In Greece we always buy olive oil, olive spread, and honey. Not because it is cheap, but because it is the best you can get.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

@GBfromDevizes : cud u pls tell me about both..

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

@Periscope : thnx :)

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

Also the olive oil soap and hand creams too are lovely ...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
651 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

All of the above plus local ceramics, we have some lovely bowls and cups from Samos. Dried herbs such as oregano.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

thnx for all the replies :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

Saffron from Greece is among the best in the world. Spices in general are a big thing ideed.

Many people buy leather sandals. Melissinos is a famous stroe that produces hand made sandals for generations.

Museum artifacts replicas is also a very good choice in case you want something like this. Benaki Museum shop is very good. One side to the left has more low price merchandise, other side to the right is the really expensive stuff like jewellery etc. I always go to the side with the cheaper merchandises :) You can find really good things in there, like certificated bronze coin replicas for as low as 20 - 25 euros.

Olive oil is the real gold here. Olive oil, olives, olive patte, salt also is exceptional.

You can also find very good wines and spirits in general. Ouzo is a very good choice, while raki or tsipouro are other options :) Beware, these drinks are high in alcohol concentration, not as easy as wine :)

An unusual merchandise is backgammon tables. Backgammon is a big thing. These tables are wooden, like cases, they double as chess table, backgamon table too. They are wooden usually and prices can be anywhere from 15 euros to the sky.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

.. fabulous suggestions from everyone:-) Couldn't agree more with the Musum gift shops.. I, too, love the 'left' side of the Benaki, lol!! There are also wonderful gift shops at the Nat'l Archaeological Museum and The New Akropolis Museum.. I still enjoying drinking my morning cup of java from the mugs I purchased at the latter depicting the Parthenon columns;-)

I always pack as much olive oil as possible in my luggage, lol;-) Honey too from Skopelos.. doesn't get any better! Just to note though.. don't know the regulations flying in/out of India.. coming from the States, fresh/loose herbs/spices are an unfortunate no-no.. it's difficult oftentimes passing the spice market and NOT being able to purchase ~ sigh! I end up having to buy spices/herbs already packed and sealed.. not so bad;-) Happy shopping.. and enJOY!

10. Re: Must buy stuff when in greece..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:17