We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Hi, my wife and I want to go to a Greek island in early September 2013. We need a hot sunny place with a good beach and plenty of nightlife, but not a place full of crazy kids staggering around drunk - just good music, dancing and restaurants. We're happy with any reasonable type of accommodation. Many thanks, Gary

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum

There are dozens of islands that could fit and dozens of resorts that are suitable on most islands.

Rhodes has resorts of the type that you want to avoid but also resorts that would suit. The same could be said of Corfu, Crete, Zakynthos etc.

Kefalonia is one island that does not attract the "crazy kids staggering around drunk" but there are others.

With this info have a look in travel agents and then ask again with things narrowed down a bit and a few decisions already made such as budget, self catering or B & B (please, not All Inclusive), one week or two, direct flight or are you prepared to take ferry as well, package deal or cheap flight and book your own place.

Happy planning

Bob

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Thank you Bob,that's a great start!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Hi there and welcome

The vast majority of the Club 18-30 "drink till you drop" crowd will have all gone home by the end of August, and anyway, as long as you avoid the resorts that they frequent, you won't have any issues with them regardless of when you go. Where, ideally do you wish to fly from? It would pay to ask your local travel agents what the options are from your local airport, no good choosing an island then finding you need to travel 200 miles to the airport to get there.If you could give some more info as Bob's asked for, it would really help us to help you. Thank you.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Hi GB, thanks. Ideally we would fly from Bournemouth or Southampton, but we are happy to go from any London airport.

Regarding accommodation - I think B&B or S/C makes sense; unless there's an exceptional deal I can't see the point in paying for a hotel as we are unlikely to spend much time there - we prefer going to the beach. Budget - up to say £600 each for flights and accommodation.

We would like to go from 10 days from 8th or 9th September, ideally a direct flight but a ferry crossing would be OK.

We usually go on package deals but would be happy to do the flights and accommodation separately.

We're pretty laid back - we just want a good beach and lots of nightlife so we can pretend we're young again!!!

Many thanks

Gary

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Hi Gary

September isn't that far away and even if there is availability on carriers such as easyJet for your dates, you will probably pay a handsome price for them. I've just done a dummy booking on EJ and putting in fly out date of Sep 8th and fly home date of the 18th, to and from Gatwick to Crete, you're looking at cheapest prices of £243 each plus checked baggage charges which add a further £34 each, which totals £277 each.

If Crete sounds a possibility, have a look here, it's where we always stay on Crete, and where we will be as well this early Sept.

www.mikesbeach.gr

It's basic, but clean and comfortable SC accommodation in the coastal village of Anissaras, 20 kms east of the airport and just half a minute's walk from the great beach. It's family owned and run and note that the rates are per apartment per day, and not per person. Even given the price of late booked air tix, you could easily stay within your £600 budget each .

This is Anissaras, the first few photos show "Mikes", the rooms and the view from the apartments.

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 31 July 2013, 10:36
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Thank you - I will ask my wife what she thinks, it looks great!

Patras, Greece
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Hi GaryN

You could try Skala, Kefalonia. It's Kefalonia's answer to the Riviera i.e. lots of hotels and spas, no boozy yobs, mainly couples or families. Check the reviews. If you travel light, Ryanair could be a possibility - direct flight.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Thanks Colin!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

mykonos and ios are both great...

fly direct to myk or via Athens...or ferry from rafina (port nr the airport)

little rohari hotel in mykonos or lady anna hotel and petros place in ios

ios is fly to athens then ferry from pireus or rafina...ios is dirt cheap mykonos is not

ios is also possibe via flying direct to santorini (also nice for a few days, oia is beautiful)

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek island holiday suggestions - 40 year old couple

Thanks Rog!