We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

Looking for help regarding a wedding.

Me and my partner are looking to get married abroad, and have been looking at the Greek Islands.

For the wedding itself we like the idea of an area which is beautiful, scenic island which is lush with green, flowers, trees, rural, traditional, beautiful views etc. Nothing spoilt, full of tourists, tourist shops etc. We do not mind staying in somewhere more popular etc but again we want it to be nice and special but cater for our guests holiday needs. We want an island that won’t be too expensive as we are aware our guests will need to pay money to come but we don’t want them to begrudge the cost of everything. A lot of our guests will be brining children too.

Neither of us has been to any Greek island :/ but we will pick an island and visit it before we book anything. We looked at a chapel in Assos in Kefalonia but I am unsure about this because some people have said it is expensive and very touristy.

Other islands mentioned have been Kos (but I am not sure if this is too ‘burnt’ looking scenery and rocky, and Skiathos but some have said this is small and not a high variety of things to do)

So… I am asking you guys for your personal thoughts and op9inions on islands and areas, what they are like, what they look like and cost to fly there/eat etc.

Bromyard, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

Hi Kelly

If you're looking for somewhere "green" then you'll need to give some thought as to what time of year you are going to be travelling, as during the high season most Greek islands will not be particularly green - owing to no significant rain for months. That suggests that early or late season would be best - but with the chance of some rain ...... Also, I wouldn't rule out an island that is "touristy", as all islands will have some places off the beaten track for you to discover and enjoy. We got married in Zakynthos a few years ago - and it was fantastic! But we couldn't have done this without the services of a wedding planner to deal with the translations and Greek bureacracy - and I guess that if you're looking for somewhere without a significant tourist trade then you may struggle to find a wedding planner as well. You might also want to consider your transport options - only the islands with a more developed tourist trade are likely to have direct flights - and if you need to travel via Athens then this is going to bump up the costs for you and your guests. Regarding costs - we find Zakynthos very cheap - by which I mean a budget of E60 per day for 2 adults self-catering is plenty (this includes drinks of an evening too). But once you've narrowed down your options I am sure others will be able to give you information about costs in many different locations.

Happy planning.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

thanks for this.

I do not mind more tourist islands, in fact I think I would prefer these due to flights being cheaper etc but once on the island I would want the wedding to be in more of a quiet, rural, non tourist village/town/area

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

do you have the details of where you were married and the wedding planner so that I could research and see about this being an option too

thnak you :)

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

Hi Kelly,

If you get married in May/ June avoiding half term the Assos will not be very touristy. It will also be quite green. A cheaper place for people to stay would be Agia Efimia but they would probably need a car. My brother and I stayed there this May and found studios for 22 euros per night for the room. We could eat out with some wine and beer for about 30 -35 euros per night.

If you think Kefalonia could be for you then post a question on the Kefalonia forum and you will be inundated with names of wedding planners.

Best of luck.

Bob

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

Hey and welcome Kelly_House42:-) Take a look at www.skopelosweb.gr/ A 15 min ferry ride from Skiathos;-) Congrats and enjoy!

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

thank you, ill look at these options.

I am open to suggestions of any other areeas and islands to look at an consider.. thank you.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

also - it may be worth noting that my mother in law (to be) is a teacher so we will have to travel during school holidays so the area I choose for the actual wedding day will most likely have to be off the beaten track so to say

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

Kelly,

I'm gonna have to disagree with Frankies on the "greeness" and point out that, different parts of Greece look different. Some indeed look "dry" during high summer, particularly the Cycladic Islands and some of the Dodecanese Islamds (like Kos), while other areas always look green, like the Ionian Islands and the west coast of the mainland. And then, there's in-between. Keep in mind, Greece is Mediterranean, not tropical. If you've ever been to Spain or Italy, then expect the same thing in Greece.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

Thank you sky, that is very helpful.

I thought something similar, so I should stick to the Ionian islands

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on various Islands for a wedding destination

The Ionian Islands will definitely be green. So will the west coast of the mainland, including beautiful places like Messinia prefecture (in the Peloponnese) or the town of Parga (in Epirus). Of course, I'm guessing that you may also want to consider how accessible the place is for your guests (like how far you'll be from an airport with direct flights to the UK), etc. Corfu and Zakynthos definitely have UK flights. Kalamata and Aktion airports now have a few UK flights as well. On the Aegean side, the Sporades Islands (Mamma Mia!) will also be green.

And it's not all "black and white". There's a spectrum of greeness throughout the country. Other areas not yet discussed may fall somewhere in-between. If you browse at enough pictures of a place, you can get an idea of what it looks like, and if it's "green enough" for you. But you can't go wrong with the Ionian Islands.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 09:15