We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

Pasadena,
4 posts
Save Topic
Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

Hi everyone!

I'm heading to Greece next Wednesday and will be staying for 13 days. I'm traveling with my mom and neither one of us has been to Greece before. The itinerary for right now is to spend the first day in Athens, then take a ferry to Mykonos, stay there for 2.5 days, then onto Santorini for 4.5 days. Afterwards, we are going to fly to Skiathos (through Athens). Due to the fact that the flight gets in late in the evening, we will spend the night in Skiathos, explore it a bit the next morning, then head on over to Skopelos and stay there the remainder of that day and the next (1.5 days). The day after we fly back to Athens to spend 1.5 more days there, before departing.

My question is would it be better that we cut Santorini down to 3 days and add an extra days to the 'Skiathos/Skopelos' leg of our journey, or stick to the original plan? Not everything is set in stone yet and I can make some adjustments to the itinerary. I wish we had more time and could just stay longer in all the places, but unfortunately that's not the case... I have heard that Santorini is amazing and all about just relaxing and enjoying the time there...On the other hand, we don't want to rush through Skiathos/Skopelos and feel like we could've used more time there. I fully understand that even if we add an additional day we will still be rushed, but it's the best we could do in the current circumstances...

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,673 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

Hi ladancingirl,

and welcome to the forums.

I would definitely cut Santorini to 3 days, and add it to Skiathos\Skopelos. 1,5 days there which includes travel means you will be in transit most of the time.

Santorini is mostly all about the views, which you will enjoy fully through 3 days on the island. Here is to give you an idea:

Fira

http://tinyurl.com/depuvh

Oia

http://tinyurl.com/cq6dtp

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Pasadena,
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

Thank you so much for replying, Greek-Traveller!

I take it that you have been to Skiathos and/or Skopelos? If so, can you tell me if it's as picturesque and peaceful as it looks? I've heard that it's much more relaxing and peaceful than Santorini and Mykonos.

Also, how many days in your opinion would you recommend for Athens? I've heard that the sites there can be seen fairly quickly and that the city itself is not as great to be in compared to the islands. Is that true?

Thank you again and appreciate your response!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Pasadena,
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

I take it that you have been to Skiathos and/or Skopelos? If so, can you tell me if it's as picturesque and peaceful as it looks? I've heard that it's much more relaxing and peaceful than Santorini and Mykonos.

Also, how many days in your opinion would you recommend for Athens? I've heard that the sites there can be seen fairly quickly and that the city itself is not as great to be in compared to the islands. Is that true?

Edited: 26 August 2013, 08:02
Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Pasadena,
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

yes,mykonos and santorini are the most famous,so they get the most tourists.so skopelos or skiathos are more laid-back..

and yes,athens can't compare to the islands for beauty..it is a vast town,so a couple of days are enough to see the main sites..leave athens last to be close to your departure spot..enjoy

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

Hey and welcome ladancingirl:-) Did you change your name, lol?;-) There was practically an identical post here a while ago... with same itinerary.. asking similar questions;-) Nonetheless, with what looks like 12 nights.. 4 isles plus Athens really fills your plate to excess;-) I realize many coming the distance try to get in as much as possible.. usually sacrificing quality for quantity.. but bottom line, it's your pref/priorities.. as well as travel style that rules;-)

Skiathos and Skopelos are indeed gorgeous.. peaceful isle.. most especially Skopelos since most arriving in Skiathos (which has an airport) base there and rarely venture off the isle except for maybe a day trip cruise/excursion! FWIW, some villages in Santorini can also be peaceful/quiet.. Oia, Imerovigli for example can be pure bliss.. when the day cruises aren't there of course;-)

What I'd first be looking for here.. coming the huge distance and dealing with all that lag.. time zone changes, etc.. would be to just fly straight out to an isle upon arrival in Athens! Chances are that first day you're planning in Athens will be a loss/wasted day.. being immersed into a major, vibrant metropolis.. trying to get into zone! An isle is a great place to do that.. see if you can fly out to either Mykonos, Santorini.. or even Skiathos (albeit there is only 1 flight daily there for the most part).. I'd break it down into 3 nights at each place.. and if flying in/out of Skiathos, would consider heading over to Skopelos as a day trip unfortunately.. you don't really have the time to explore much further unless you drop an isle which it doesn't appear you're looking to do;-)

Take a look at both www.aegeanair.com/ www.olympicair.com/ If you fly into Santorini or Mykonos first, you can ferry between the 2.. check www.gtpr.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ for ferry schedules.. and as you already know, only way to head up to the gorgeous Sporades without wasting additional time is a flight! Save Athens for you finale.. keeping the itinerary running consecutively is a huge timesaver! You can check out www.skopelosweb.gr/ .. and see what you're missing;-)) EnJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
7. Re: Skiathos/Skopelos vs Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 07:20