We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip To Greece

N Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
First Trip To Greece

Hi folks would really appreciate some advice, I am planning 10-14 days in Greece flying in to most likely Athens, the ideal trip would be 5 days of sightseeing probably with car and at least 5 days of peaceful relaxation with a beach and spa style break. Single traveller looking to stay clear of overpopulated resorts with no interest in nightlife. Would like to take this trip starting middle of september.

Thanks a mill

Edited: 22 August 2013, 11:57
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip To Greece

Hi there

Are you intending to stay on the mainland or do you want to visit an island or two?

N Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip To Greece

Hi, thanks a mill for reaching out, because I am solo I have no real constraints but i have never been on a beach holiday (always motorbikes and on the move) and would really like to mix sites with comfort this time, in an ideal world it would be up and about sigt seeing in the morning then an afternoon/evening on the beach.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip To Greece

OK, so do you want to stay on the main land or visit an island or two? Is there any particular place in Greece you like the look of? Have you looked at a guide book for some ideas? "Sightseeing" and "beaches" are available just about everywhere in Greece, if you can narrow it down a bit then it's much easier to offer you some suggestions. As is stands, there are a thousand places that fit the bill. Thank you.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip To Greece

To be honest I have only started searching on spa resorts hotels etc, I will have a better browse over the weekend and come back with anything I find, I think the problem is though there is so much to choose from and will end up doing the typical bloke and picking the first that looks good.

Thanks again for your time

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip To Greece

I would recommend you drive from Athens airport to Nafplio, a lovely town that makes a great base for sightseeing, have a look at www.visitnafplio.com. You could spend two or three nights there and then maybe move on to elsewhere in the Peloponnese, which is chock full of amazing ancient sites, fabulous landscapes and pretty villages. I'm not sure what you have in mind for a beach/spa, if you are looking for high end luxury look at http://www.costanavarino.com/ . If something more authentically Greek and locally owned, try http://www.zoeresort.com/

N Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip To Greece

Thank you kindly, I intend to spend the weekend reviewing any tips i get and narrowing down the choices as there seems to be so much. Reall appreciate your time.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip To Greece

another vote for nafplion and peloponnese area..you can't go wrong with places like nafplion,monemvasia castle,mani,kardamili,to name a few

Salem, MO
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip To Greece

Have you look at the island of Milos. I was there this spring (May) and found it very relaxing. As for spas I am not sure, but I do know they have "hot springs". The people are very welcoming, the food is excellent, the views are wonderful and there is lots of history about the island. Have a look at this island.

9. Re: First Trip To Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21