We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed on adjusting my trip

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed on adjusting my trip

Hi Everyone,

We are a family of 3 including one daughter 12 yrs old and planning to visit Greece this December. Though I am at a very early stages of my planning, but I am planning for a week for the land part . The days are flexible and can be extended if required, but I would like to do a proper road trip to see main things to see greece by renting a car.

I am interested to visit any one of the ski resorts even though we will not ski but just to get a feel of the snow covered region and mountains of greece. I need help on tightening the trip itinerary so that it is more effective. The plan I have initially chalked out

Athens (4), Nafplio(1), Olympia(1), Delphi(1), Kalambaka (1), Thessaloniki (1)

22nd Dec - Fly into Athens in evening. Overnight at Athens

23rd Dec - Athens - Sightseeings in Athens-Overnight at Athens

24th Dec - Athens - Cape Sounion-Athens. Overnight at Athens

25th Dec - Athens - Corinth Canal-Epidaurus-Nafplio. Night at Nafplio

26th Dec - Nafplio-Mycenae-Tomb of Agamemnon-Olympia. Overnight at Olympia.

27th Dec - Olympia - Sightseeing at Olympia-Delphi - Overnight at Delphi

28th Dec - Delphi-Kalambaka - Overnight at Kalambaka

29th Dec - Sightseeing at Meteora -Dion-Thessaloniki Overnight at Thessaloniki

30th Dec- Thessaloniki - Kastoria - Thermopylae-Athens

31st Dec - Overnight at Athens for New years celebration

1st Jan - Fly back to Bangkok in the afternoon

Pls let me know Athens will be better in Christmas or in New years ?

cheers

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

Hi,

Lots of travelling involved but doable, especially for the first few days. You could spend an additonal night in Arachova which is near Delphi. Relax in the mountains and enjoy the snow:

greeka.com/sterea/…parnassos-skiing.htm

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

Thanks AjarnAndy...will surely consider

Markopoulo
Level Contributor
961 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

Doable for the most part. The only day which seems a bit odd to me is the 30th of Dec as you will go from Thessaloniki "back" to Kastoria, then to Thermopylae. Maybe it would be better to go from Meteora north to Kastoria, then east to Thessaloniki and then head south to Thermopylae and eventually Athens.

Arachova is a good suggestion for a ski resort. Another one could be Vasilitsa Grevenon situated at about half the distance between Kalambaka and Kastoria. One other location you might like to explore is Pilion. It's a couple of hours drive from the national road heading from Thessaloniki to Athens (before you reach Thermopylae). It's so beautiful, you might consider staying there for one night.

As for Athens, if by "better" you mean more "lively", it's definitely New Years Eve you'd prefer. Generally in Greece New Years Eve is considered a more important occasion than Christmas, it's the night families get together, people are having huge parties inside or out etc etc

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

Very interesting Tassos, will consider the options, thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

another vote for magical pelion,...if you go you will love it,

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

I agree with Tassos about day "30th Dec- Thessaloniki - Kastoria - Thermopylae-Athens ". I think you will not have time to see Thessaloniki, as you will arrive on the 29th -probably in the evening- and leave in the morning. Istead of this, you could continue from Kalambaka to Grevena and from there to Vasilitsa ski resort (the one Tassos mentioned). To my opinion, Vasilitsa is much more beautiful than Arachova-Parnassos ski resort. For sure Pelion is also lovely, but you have to make a choice. Meteora -Dion-Thessaloniki-Kastoria - Thermopylae + a ski resort is too much to be done in just 2 days!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

WOuld like to comment, that December month can be weatherwise quite unsettled, ie. it has been known to snow, even in Athens, although very rare.

About your driving to Delphi, keep this in mind, as you might require chains for the car, i have been going there to ski for years, and there is a small bit of a road, just prior arriving to Arachova, which can be icy if it has snowed. Also for the drive up to the mountains, you need chains, lots of patience and extra care for other drivers....

Enjoy you holidays and the snow!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

Thanks Morocco for your inputs. I understand that weather is unpredictable that time and would have our expectations tuned for it.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

Thanks Katsy....valuable advice..I will check with the airlines if I can fly into Athen and out from Thessaloniki or vice versa...accordingly then I will change my plans.

10. Re: Help needed on adjusting my trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:21