We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

London
Level Contributor
162 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

Hello chaps - we have been to some Greek islands but are looking to go in October - perhaps Zante this time ..would it all be closed for the season? Lats time we went to Rhodes and it was April and no one about and most the places were shut - we do not want a 'resort' - we cant to get a villa/self catering with a shirt walk into town - nice bars and restaurants but not mobs of kids and clubs..any ideas? We have already been to Corfu, Cyprus, Samos, Skiathos, and Crete so ideally want somewhere else but direct flights and not too expensive (I want the moon on a stick!)

Any ideas as i have just realised we haven't booked a holiday yet! Thank you so much.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

Hi,

Have a look at Kefalonia if you are thinking of the first half of October. Last year tourist shops and tavernas were starting to close about middle of the month but in towns that are not just resorts there will always be some tavernas and minimarkets open. However as Easyjet lengthen the time they fly there so the season will lengthen!

Bob

London
Level Contributor
162 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

Thank Bob! Will do.

We cant go until 13 October - I notice that Cyprus stays warmest for the longest - though I have been before my husband hasn't so that may be a go-er.

Hear fab things about Cephalonia though so def want to go there too

Thanks again

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

Hi there

Just be aware that in mid October, the weather in those northerly islands such as Kefalonia can cool down. We were last there in early October a few years ago, daytime highs in the mid 20s but chilly at night. You may well find some places really winding down or even closed but there will always be bars and restaurants open right until the end of the final week of the season.

Great new avatar Bob...;0)

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

Cheers Graham, taken on hill above Agia Efimia!

Bob

London
Level Contributor
162 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

Thank you both so much

I have fed back to my husband and we shall see - might have to consider the canaries (not so keen - did all that years ago..) if Cyprus also closing down for the e=season - we don't mind quiet but we don't want dead! When in Rhodes - which also coincided with the Icelandic volcano which didnt help - we didn't have much choice and were the only people at our cluster of villas

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
778 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

We were in Paleochora (south west crete) last October until the 15th and it was still very warm and quite busy. You would need to fly to Chania which is itself a great place to stay, a wonderful town with a beautiful old harbour area, near to good beaches, a good bus service and will certainly still be quite busy in October.

7. Re: Greek island, October, couple want culture and rest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 05:17