We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult only all inclusive

AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
24 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Adult only all inclusive

Hi everyone

My husband and I just got back from our annual holiday and we are looking to book a holiday for next year.

We need a bit of advice , as we want to book a genuine ,100% adult only holiday. I am really, really tired of screaming weans at hotels because we leave ours behind.

We want to go the beginning of September next year and we would prefer to fly from Glasgow.

Help would be greatly appreciated, look forward to hearing from anyone.

Thanks in advance xx

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,699 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult only all inclusive

Is it just me, or does this sound wrong?

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult only all inclusive

I'm not sure about "wrong", Steve, but it does strike me as sad. I would have thought that a holiday was the ideal opportunity for building up lots of happy memories of everyone together.

Bob

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult only all inclusive

Everyone is entitled to holiday in the way that suits them, but in this particular case I think Greece will not provide the OPs requirements. Being very child friendly wherever you go & not being good at AI it is almost guaranteed to disappoint. The best advice would be to reconsider & look to another country. A good travel agent will advise what is available direct from Glasgow.

AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
24 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult only all inclusive

Oh dear, it would seem that it is " wrong" for someone to ask for a bit of friendly advice from fellow travellers by giving them the absolute truth!

For the record I have been to various parts of Greece with my children AND all of their friends ( 14 weans in total to Corfu 2 years ago ) which is why I would love to go back again.

Having travelled for 18 years round the world with my 4 children since they were babies , every single year and making the most of our family time together, I would like to enjoy my time on holiday without having to listen to other peoples sceaming weans and for that I will never apologise.

Each persons holiday needs are different and if my opinion does not conform to what is the social "norm" then that is not my problem.

All I asked for was a bit of advice from fellow travellers about the best way to fulfill our holiday needs...not to start a discussion on judjment of wether I am right or wrong!!!!!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult only all inclusive

Hi OLLIO,

As an ex teacher I can understand wanting some time away from them.

One problem is that as tsipouro says the Greeks do not do OI very well judging by the comments we read on these forums.

If you can consider something like a villa then I am sure we can think of resorts that in September will be fairly child free.

Bob

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adult only all inclusive

Hi Ollio, we are a child-free couple too and I can imagine that being in a hotel with lots of kids wouldn't be our cup of tea either. However it's the all inclusive bit of your request that has 'hit a nerve'. Many of us regular contributors to this forum feel very strongly about AI which is killing off a lot of local businesses in Greece and having a very negative effect on some resorts (see GB's recent trip report from Crete on this site for a good description of what's happening).

My recommendation would be to book a self catering villa or apartment and eat out in local tavernas, where the food and the ambience will be much, much better than you'll find in an AI hotel. And you will be supporting the local economy at a time when they really need it.

AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
24 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adult only all inclusive

Oh and for the record, I am well travelled as far as Greece goes having been WITH my children to Crete, Athens, Ithaki, Zante, Patra, Kefalonia, Corfu. Also I have a Greek uncle ( who is NOT clued up on all inclusive holidays as he lives in Ithaki ) that is why I thought I would ask folk here if they had any ideas.God I never realised a simple request would turn into an "Agony Aunt" discussion!

REAL GENUINE help would be greatly appreciated , as although I have been travelling for 35 years now ( 20 of them with my children, family and friends ) the adult only is something I have never done.

P.S.I still can not stand listening to other peoples screaming weans on holiday!!!

Thanks

AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
24 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adult only all inclusive

I am open to suggestion for alternative ways of holiday. I didnt realise the all inclusive bit would be a problem, but I am willing to try something different.So any ideas and throw them my way....thanks very much for the advice.Fire away with new thought...I would try anything once...we live and learn!!

AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
24 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adult only all inclusive

Thanks for that advice. If you come up with any ideas I would take them on board. We only did all inclusive in the last few years as our weans got bigger and they cost more! When they were little , we always did self -catering or stayed with family to save money and also, like you said putting money back into the economy. In fact , most of the time we lived like locals ( pardon the pun) as my uncle showed us "real" Greece and took as to real Greek places of interest etc. Any ideas would be more than welcomed.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,699 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adult only all inclusive

<<I am really, really tired of screaming weans at hotels because we leave ours behind.>>

I assumed your kids were young, as it was implied that yours were screaming as well, which I hope they're not if they are 18!

You are right, it's none of my business anyway, so I apologise.

However, I think that others have hit the nail on the head, that AI is not the way to go unless you are willing to go very upmarket with the appropriate costs, as Greece does not do cheap AI well.

Even then you would be missing out on so much.

Although there will be few school-age children around in September, there will of course be lots of pre-schoolers, as it's a good time to travel with young children. So unless you find an adults-only AI hotel and don't leave it, you will see them.