We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying For Your Holiday

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Paying For Your Holiday

Hi All,

Have come across loveholidays.com recently and they have a sort of payment plan whereby you pay £49pp deposit and then you can pay the balance in monthly installments. I think spreading the cost of paying for your holiday in smaller monthly chunks is a great idea.

Had a look on Olympic, Thomson, and Thomas Cook, and they don't seem to do this.

Anyone know of any other TO's that do do this?

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

Sounds like a really bad idea to me. If you need to pay the holyday in rates, why dont you get a savings account in the bank for the purpose. Make fixed monthly deposits. In addition to the deposits you earn interests. If you pay to some travel company, they might in worst case go bancrupt, making you loose your money. With the money in the bank you may buy the trip you wishes, not restricted to one supplier.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

Usually, the balance of the holiday becomes due three months prior to the departure date. I too would be a bit concerned about paying monthly instalments, it means the travel firm are getting their money earlier than they would normally expect to do, so why do they want this? It might sound attractive to the punters but the reality "might" be that they just want as much of your money as quickly as possible which to me screams " money problems".

Essex
Level Contributor
924 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

I've booked with love holidays.com twice now and never have any problems with them , you can pay what ever you like off each month I pay off 200 a month , so our holiday will be paid off by January and do the same with the spending money , OH takes out 200 a month as well and puts that in a savings account so we have the best of both worlds

Essex
Level Contributor
924 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

And thomas cook , you can pay off chunks online , I did this with our Lesvos holiday

Salem, MO
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

I agree with Periscope. Start a savings account. That is what my wife and I did for our trip to Greece. We did a direct deposit from our pay checks to our "Travel" savings account, and after 2 years, we were riding a motor scooter around the island of Milos. The great thing about doing the saving yourself is YOU earn the interest on YOUR money. How much interest is loveholidays.com paying you to use your money until you take your trip?

Essex
Level Contributor
924 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

It's not an awful lot of interest we get for savings here in the uk , quite poor really , I'd rather see the balance go down and relax that it's being paid off , we don't have any credit cards either and if we was to stick it in a savings account , what's to say that we wounldnt dip into it ? . People have different methods for paying , and the number of times I've known my friends or relatives have had to cancel a holiday because they didn't save up or pay it off

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

There would be little point in putting the money in a savings account, just for the interest, it is practicaly non existent. If paying for your holday in installments suits you, then why not, it's your money and your holiday

Salem, MO
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

Everything you say about low interest and how different people elect to handle their money is true. But for me 0.1% will always be better then 0.0%. Good luck and enjoy.

Salem, MO
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

Everything you say about low interest and how different people elect to handle their money is true. But for me 0.1% will always be better then 0.0%. Good luck and enjoy.

10. Re: Paying For Your Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 07:17