We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Any Ferry Experts...

UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Calling Any Ferry Experts...

I am arriving in Santorini on Wednesday 27th August 2014 at 1:45pm, and will be looking to move on to Ios as soon as possible.

Am I likely to be able to get a ferry the same day, or will I be spending my first night in Santorini?

Does anyone have access to the ferry timetable from this August, who could compare what was available on the same day/date?

I appreciate my trip is a long way off, and the timetables for 2014 will not be available for sometime yet, but I'm sure some of the more experienced Greek travellers here will have some idea?

Thanks in advance.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

Hi there

Certainly no expert but www.gtp.gr shows a daily service running from 3/7/14 through till 14/9/14 departing Santorini at 14.40hrs, so if you arrive on Santorini in time, you have about an hour to make the connection to Ios.

Just put "August" into the search box, don't worry about specific dates

Edited: 10 October 2013, 08:58
UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

^Thanks.

Didn't even think to search for my date next year as I'd heard the timetables don't come out until around March-time.

I'd probably be cutting it too fine with just 55 mins to make the connection, but it's something to keep an eye on in case the planned ferry gets put back a little once the timetables are confirmed.

Hopefully there'll be something more around the 4-5pm mark to avoid any first day rushing!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

Hi again

if all runs to time, 55 mins should be plenty of time to make the connection.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

To be honest, Seajets are known for changing their schedules as soon as they release them, and they've never released them that early... meaning they can start the fun of fiddling around with the timetables, changing routes and swapping ferries a few months earlier than usual... I wouldn't put too much trust in what you see know, not with Seajets' reputation.

There may be Highspeed6 around 5pm or even later in the evening on the days it does two rounds of Piraeus-Ios-Santorini-Ios-Piraeus run (most certainly at weekends but daily in high season some years)

Edited: 10 October 2013, 10:02
oldham
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

Go to openseas .gr and scroll back on the calendar to this years dates ,will give you an idea from this year.

UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

Thanks for all the help/comments.

Grecophile - thanks for that, I was hoping to find a site that would show me the schedules from the same date/s in 2013.

Unfortunately there didn't seem to be many mid-late afternoon/early evening options from Fira-Ios towards the end of August 2013, especially in the week. Hopefully this will be different for next year!

Do the schedules tend to change much from year-to-year on the main routes, or do they tend to stick to similar times?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

Conventional car ferries running all year round tend to change less than high-speed, seasonal service. Summer 2013 was significantly different than previous years in terms of both, routes and timings.

8. Re: Calling Any Ferry Experts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:19