We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 full days in Greece

San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
4 full days in Greece

Hi all,

Hope someone out there can give me some travel advice. My wife and I are planning a short trip into Athens Nov 1, leaving early Nov 6. We were hoping to see Mykonos and Santorini, but it seems there is no quick way of getting from Mykonos to Santorini, so we'll probably just fly in and out of Santorini from Athens. Should we plan to stay one or two nights in Santorini? How should we spend the remainder of our time. Any good day trip ideas from Athens? It's our first time in Greece!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 full days in Greece

Too short time to visit both Myconos and Santorini. 2 islands. Head straight to Santorini, see how you like it there, return to Athens for sightseeing. Even if you spend only one night in Santorini, it leaves you 2 days, and you end up wasting your valuable time in airport transfers, and travelling.

You could consider taking a small ferry to a nearby island, like a day trip, such as Aegina, Agistri or Poros, or Hydra instead.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 full days in Greece

hi..first of all i agree with morocco,forget mykonos..4 full days could be easily spent in athens,it is a very historic city with lots of interesing sites..it is a capital of 5 million people ,so definitely enough to keep you entertained for 4 days..

..santorini has the great views you may have seen in photos..,so if you definitely want to see them i would suggest flying to there and from there to athens if possible(if you find suitable flights)..the ferries take too long and with only 4 days it is not worth it..keep in mind summer is over now so don't expect beach weather..maybe some strong winds,and not beach temperatures(it's around 25 degrees in greece now).the villages with the caldera views are fira,oia,firostefani and imerovigli..keep in minfd santorini will be a ghost town,few people and few places open

if you reject santorini but also don't want to spend all days in athens i would suggest nafplio,a beautiful historic coastal city 2 hours away from athens..

nafplio pictures

http://tinyurl.com/prrmdw6

how to get from athens to nafplio

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k63…

santorini caldera views

http://tinyurl.com/pawfjbk

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 full days in Greece

Hi there

Four full days isn't long enough to see anything other than Athens, and maybe as has been suggested a sideline trip to Napflion or a daytrip to one of the close Saronic Gulf islands. There's no point going anywhere for one night, that's not even one full day and you'll see and experience nothnig of wherever you go to. November sees the weather really starting to change, you might have some warm, sunny days or you are just as likely to have wet and windy days.

Inter-island travel is way more restricted compared to summer, that applies to flights and ferries and outside of the main towns, the islands will to all intents be closed and this includes shops, bars and restaurants.

4. Re: 4 full days in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:18