We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Greece in Mid-December

Liberec, Czech...
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Greece in Mid-December

Hi,

I have about 7 days of vacation during mid December and since we moved in Europe recently, would like to get away from the snow of Central Europe (Liberec, Czech Republic) to some relatively hot/mild weather region and Greece has always fascinated me because of its history, culture and scenic beauty. So, my first and most fundamental question is: Will it be a good choice in December?

If the answer is yes, then I should start planning my itinerary. My travel companion will be my wife, so it will be a small group of two (We may eventually tuck in another couple of friends). Total days are about seven, which is small, but I believe should be decent enough. We should look at modest or low budget options for accommodation and hence youth hostel - type accommodation would be acceptable provided they are safe. Our interest would be to visit historical sights, one or two museums, one (or two) Island and places with scenic or natural beauty. We are not into sports activities or actions.

I guess we must visit Athens, and in Tripadvisor, I also found Oia among the top 25 destinations in Europe. I would also love to visit Crete, but it is very big and I am not sure if we can do justice within this short time. So can some friends give practical suggestions regarding the optimum itinerary covering 7 days and suggest good accommodation and local sight seeing options? What should be a modest budget for two persons for a trip to Greece during this December?

One itinerary that I have thought of is:-

Athens - 2 to 3 days

( Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Ancient Agora and the Theatre of Dionysos, trip to Delphi)

Mykonos Island - 1 day

Santorini Island - 2 days (Oia or Fira: which place to stay?)

Crete Island - 1 to 2 days (Heraklion or Chania?)

Please give your thoughts and suggestions friends. Thanks in advance to all of you!

- KBal

(Currently staying in Czech Republic with Long Term Residence Permit)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Greece in Mid-December

If your 7 days include the days of your arrival and departure you will in fact have 5 days for exploring. In such a short time and also counting that you want to explore Athens your best choice will be to fly directly to Santorini (stay in Fira - most tourist places will be closed), spend two nights and allocate the rest of your time in Athens.

December is winter time in Greece as well, but you can find some nice and warm days in Athens if the so called halcyon days set in.

A hostel accomodation can be Athens Backpackers - centrally located in Makri in the Makrygianni area - easy walkable to the most central areas in the city.

http://www.backpackers.gr/

http://tinyurl.com/5syadyy

It is virtually on this pedestrian road surrounding the Acropolis:

http://tinyurl.com/czdx56

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Greece in Mid-December

The weather in Greece will certainly be less cold than the Czech Republic but it is winter, so you should be prepared for cold, wet weather. You might be lucky and get some pleasant sunny days but don't count on it. However it can be a good time to visit historical sites without the summer heat and crowds.

Travel to the islands could be difficult as winter timetables are restricted and the weather might cause delays or cancellations to ferries. Resorts will be closed down for winter so the islands will be very quiet with few tourist facilities open. You would need to base yourself in towns with a year round population independent of tourism.

I would suggest you spend half your time in Athens and the other half in Nafplio, a lovely town which is 2 hours away by bus, and close to great historical sites like Epidavros and Mycenae.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Greece in Mid-December

In December you will have almost no transport links between the islands you've chosen. In your timeframe you would have to fly via Athens each time.

Mykonos to Santorini takes 2 days by ferry in winter (overnight in Syros) and even that is possible only twice a week. Santorini/ Crete ferry sails only once a week.

www.gtp.gr

www.openseas.gr

Liberec, Czech...
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Greece in Mid-December

Thanks to greek-traveller, 2bristolians, Ozzlem. From your replies, doubts are clouding my eyes regarding my fundamental query: should I go to Greece in december?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Greece in Mid-December

It's your decision. Canary Islands would probably be better weather-wise but for what you want to do you probably do not need perfect weather anyway. Cut out two islands - 7 days is just not enough time for all three. Crete is a year-round island, on Santorini and Mykonos 90 per cent of places will be closed.

Santorini in winter is like this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g482941-i9230-k617…

6. Re: Travel to Greece in Mid-December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18