We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Save Topic
Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Hi! We are flying in to Paris on the 3rd of June ( from Australia) and I'd really appreciate some opinions on our (loose) itinerary. The only thing that is fixed so far is that we are flying out of Milan on the 28th of July. We are a family of five- our three kids will be 14, 9 and 2. We are primarily keen on having a relaxing time whilst obviously experiencing what we can of this amazing part of the world!

So, this is what I have in mind so far:

3rd June: fly in to Paris

4-11 June London and surrounds

11-16 June: Paris and surrounds

16-20 June somewhere in the south of France (Avignon?)

21- 25 Barcelona

26 June- 2 July santorini ( or recommend Greek island that is the easiest to get to from Barcelona- wanting laid back island, beautiful water, cheap as possible accommodation food etc)

4- 28 July: Italy (this bit I haven't worked out yet but keen for advice on where to fly to from said Greek island that will be easiest/cheapest- somewhere in southern Italy so we can head north...?)

28 July: Fly out of Milan!

At the moment I just want to pin down the itinerary- but I'm really open to suggestions for good family friendly places to visit/stay/things to do. I think we'd all appreciate being near the ocean/pool/river/lake wherever possible and generally being 'off the beaten track'.

Thanks in advance!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Some back-tracking and complicates logistics here...

Arriving Paris to go to London then return to Paris? Then south France, tthen I guess train to Barcelona...ok. But then from Spain all the way to Greece and then Italy???

I might be completely wrong, but more likely Barcelona to a Greek island will have to be through Athens.

From Greece to Italy you have usually ferries from Igoumenitsa and Patras (mainland) and Corfu island to Ancona, Bari, Brindisi and Venice.

I believe Easyjet flies from Santorini and Mykonos to Rome Fiumicino and Milan Malpesa on summer, ditto from Corfu and Heraklion on Crete. Aegean air runs similar routes and there might be others...

Now, what "cheap" means to you? Popular islands with an airport usually feature higher costs. Harder to reach islands might offer very reasonable accommodation and food, but it might be time and money consuming getting there...

Maybe you could skip some destinations to avoid criss-crossing all over Europe? I don't know, just saying than less places and/or geographically closer might make more sense both cost-wise and in terms of travel logistics?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Vueling fly from Barcelona to Santorini, also Volotea from Santorini to Venice,Bari, Palermo and Naples. Both are LCC so if you are not familiar with European budget airlines, do read their T&Cs before booking and follow them to the letter. They also offer connections to other Greek islands so it may be worth checking.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Instead of the much busier (& expensive) Santorini have you thought of the Ionian islands. They'll be easier to access than Santorini & less crowded in June. You'll probably get direct flights back to Milan too.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Santorini is very pretty but very expensive, with designer shops and upmarket hotels and restaurants - so not a typical Greek island. It gets swamped with tourists off cruise ships, and its beaches are gritty, black volcanic sand and so not great for kids. All that said, many people seem to absolutely love it so it depends on your personal style but it is the exact opposite of "off the beaten track" and certainly not cheap.

There are more than 200 inhabited Greek islands and most of them are accessed by flying to Athens and then taking an internal flight or a ferry. If you check the website for Barcelona's airport (or ask a travel agent) you should find out if there are direct flights to any of the larger islands from there. You can also take a ferry between the Ionian islands and southern Italy.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Here's the departures board for Barcelona airport, obviously, it won't show any Greek island flights now it's autumn but at least you can book mark it.Flights will probably start in April.

www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/departures.htm

Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

Wow, thank you all! I'm new to Trip Advisor and didn't think anyone had replied until I clicked back into the post (I've just seen the 'get notified by email' box below!). We have honed the itinerary a lot more now- still some things i'm not sure about... i will post it soon to get your advice. Thanks again for your help.

7. Re: Family holiday in June/July: France, Barcelona, Greece, Ital

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:16