We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go nearby Greece

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go nearby Greece

My husband and I are traveling to Greece from December to January to visit and stay with family. We are going to be in Athens for a month and would like to also visit either another part of Greece or another country close by. I am having a pretty hard time figuring out where to go/what to do. Does anybody know what is the best place to visit around that time of the year in or around Greece?

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

What are you interests? What kinds of things do you want to see and do? How long will you have? One obvious suggestion in winter is to go ski-ing either in one of the Greek ski resorts or elsewhere but if that doesn't appeal then you need to say what kinds of activities you are interested in.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

Hey and welcome Christine M:-) What a great time you're going to have:-) A month in Athens is fabulous!! As far as 'where' to head.. you've got loads of choices in Greece.. what are your interests.. what are you looking to see/do, experience?;-) You're coming the distance so can understand the desire to meander out a bit! Maybe Rome.. or Milan?! Or possibly Istanbul?! You've got so many options.. you can take a look at www.aegeanair.com/ www.olympicair.com/ and check out the offers! Bottom line, I'd grab a quick 30 min flight and head up to Thessaloniki, the County's Northern Capital.. then again, I'm a bit biased.. love the Northern part of the Country;-) Have a blast.. which am sure you will.. and totally EnJOY!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

+ you can always go to one of the Southernmost Greek islands, like Crete ( Chania will be great ) or Rhodes. This will be a domestic trip and an easy one.

Regarding trips to Europe, you 'll have to check one of the low cost carriers to see what's left from low fares.

Milan, Berlin, London, Rome are all great options from Easyjet / not sure how low the fares will be for such a late booking.

Right now, it seems that some December fares are still left for Milan for under 50 euros o/w. http://www.easyjet.com/

And then you have of course Chania, Rhides from Aegean Air, here: http://en.aegeanair.com/

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

A three hour fly radius from Athens takes in much of Europe so unless we know what your interests are, it's impossible to make any suggestions. It will of course be winter time across Europe and the further north you go, the colder it's likely to be. Nick's suggestion of heading south would get my vote, the south coast of Crete is one of the warmest places in Europe but don't expect beach weather or swimming in January, plus the resorts will be shut up. The only sizeable south coast town in Crete is Ierapetra which will see life going on as usual in January so there will be places to eat and drink and plenty of accommodation available.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

South coast of Crete would get my votes too. Going there for 5 - 6 days or more, renting a car, exploring a bit and enjoying this great island. Definitely not beach time, that's winter here too, but hey! it's late November and we 're still with just a light jacket and sunglasses some rare times under the sun. Very cold at nights but daytime is nice when sunny.

I vote for Southern Crete too.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

Some photos taken in Ierapetra in September this year...

flickr.com/photos/…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

Thank you all for the suggestions! We actually were looking for just a light trip somewhere different where we can explore and see the city and lifestyle and enjoy some good food. Crete sounds great, and that seems to be our best option. Thanks again!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

Mainly I disagree....Greece is related with summer on most people's mind.But why to chase a glimpse of summer within winter and not enjoy winter its self... There is an attractive winter aspect . Winter tourism in Greece is mostly domestic tourism, Greeks visiting other parts of Greece, plus a few foreigners in the know... But why going to Crete or wherever trying to locate active spots among deserted summer resorts and not to go on active winter resorts with a few side trips in summer locations if you wish.

Nothing against Ierapetra or Rhodes but why to go there trying to locate open taverns and shops and activities to fill in your time and not to go on places such as Zagoria or Metsovo or Pelion or Arahova which will be in full mode and at their best?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

Well. . .if the budget allows i 'd definitely try to do both :)

The semi-summer thing AND the winter thing.

Winter tourism is not big business in Greece; indeed mainly domestic but places are very good, winter villages are perfect and some of the accomodation is simply 5* and in sincerely low prices.

I second the suggestion but, hey! with a month here, they do have time to do both :))

Edited: 17 November 2013, 09:49
10. Re: Where to go nearby Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:17