We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island vs Island

Peterborough...
1 post
Save Topic
Island vs Island

Hi All,

We are looking for some advice/suggestions for our 2 week honeymoon next year. We would like to honeymoon on island and i'm currently trying to research each of the Greek islands and what there is to do there but would really like some recommendations.

Firstly, we would like somewhere with a lovely beach within walking distance of our accommodation. Now if we can be picky we don't over crowded but we do want atmosphere.

Also, in the same vicinity we would like a choice of restaurants, bars and pubs for the evenings.

On the island we would like activities to do during the day. We are looking to hire a car so this does not need to be near our accommodation but some of the things we would like on the island are: Water parks, theme parks, vin yards, quad biking, castles, historical sites, caves, theatre, aquariums, zoos, markets and shops.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which of the Greek Islands would suit us and also where we should consider for our accommodation, near the beach and nightlife?

Thanks in advance

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,591 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island vs Island

Hi and welcome to the forums

You've got a pretty long wish list there...

I'd say forget the zoo, theme park, theatre and go for Crete. Stalis sounds like it might be for you - a medium-size resort, purpose-built so not traditional Greek, plenty of restaurants and bars, it's on a good beach, close enough for easy 45 minutes or less bus journeys to Heraklion (for castle (fort anyway) and historical site (Knossos by an extra bus), market and shops. Cretaquarium is on the way, about 20 minutes from Stalis. Even nearer are the following: 10 minutes by bus to Ancient Malia one way or Aquaworld in Hersonissos the other way. Quads are easily available - but check insurance carefully. Caves, the nearest are either Skotini (Agia Paraskevi) near old Gouves, or Dikteon cave on Lassithi plateau - both only with your own transport. Vineyards, not too sure, I tend to buy and drink rather than look for where it was made lol, but I believe there are some villages south of Heraklion where you can do tours.

What time of year are you looking at, and what type of accommodation?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island vs Island

I posted this before reading Steve's reply and see that he too suggests Stalis on Crete. It ticks all your boxes except for zoos, theme parks and theatres ( are there any zoos or theme parks anywhere on the Greek islands?) and offers you easy access to many top sights on the island.

All I'd add is that there is indeed a large wine growing area in Crete, centred in the small town of Archanes, to the south of Iraklion ( same road as Knossos, just a few miles further) and there are also the caves at Milatos

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island vs Island

Hi there

Yes another vote for Stalis too, it does tick all your boxes, loads to do, with lots of bars, theme pubs and tavernas, with a long long sandy beach - as you are hiring a car you will be able to get out and about and discover this beautiful area of Crete the nearest you are going to get to a zoo in Crete is the Amazona park.. never been but its located just outside the village of Neapoli near Agios Nikolaos

http://amazonaspark.gr/ There is also aquaworld http://www.aquaworld-crete.com/ around 30 min drive away from Stalis.

So Stalis does tick all your boxes as long are you aren't expecting a pretty little Greek village because as Steve has already said its a purpose built tourist resort so not much of a Greek atmosphere to the place, but very popular with lots of returning visitors every year.

4. Re: Island vs Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:17