We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece solo traveler febuary

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Greece solo traveler febuary

Ok so , im doing 5 days in rhodes first which i am cool with . But my second week i had a week long tour out of Athens cancelled due to lack of numbers . I travel alot alone but have not been to greece . Any suggestions on what to do? Should i bus around ? Train ? Hire car ? I really want to include meteoria , delphi maybe peloponeese ect ... Thx if anyone can help

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

"What to do"? - personally, I'd try to change the dates and go no earlier than April, even that is a month prior to the start of the visiting season which begins in early May. Before that, fights and ferries from Athens to the islands, as well as inter-island ferres will be on a restricted winter service. The weather in February at best will be very unpredictable, you "might" get an occasional dry, sunny day ( unlikely to be warm though) or you could get heavy rain, howling gales and high seas which would mean services are severely delayed or even cancelled.

Obviously, the scenery and history will be there whenever you go but I would really think long and hard about visiting an island in February, all businesses except those in the large towns will be closed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

Hey and welcome Bradjovi:-) Given you have a week.. a rental would be a good way to get around taking in Delphi, Meteora.. and possibly a stop over in Nauplion in the Peloponesse for a couple of days from where you can visit some spectaular sites like Epiduaros Theater, Mycenae, Old Corinth;-) No public transport worries.. and roads well-signed to these popular places;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

I agree that February is not the best month to see Greece - I woke up one Feb morning to 20cms of snow on Paros.

Litsa's suggestion of a hire car is a possibility however the weather in Meteora could be dodgy in February and it can be especially wet in the Peloponnese.

If you have to be in Greece ion February, I would be inclined to suggest going as far south as possible and flying to Crete. At least there will be some action in Heraklion, Rethymnon and Chania, and the latter two are nice towns with year round activity. You may be lucky and experience some relatively warm sunny weather on the south coast at Paleochora.

Winter can be a good time to visit many of Athens' top sites. You can combine this with a night or two in Aegina and/or Poros

Good luck

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

Due to work restrictions I can travel only on European winter and I think the whole weather issue is somehow overblown by many-not necessarily on this forum, in general I mean. Unless you plan to do strictly summer activities or you have in mind to visit an attraction which might be closed,I find traveling on winter a pleasure. Exception would be of course if you do not have tolerance on cold/rain/snow at all, which is highly unlikely or if you had wrong expectations-weather is same either DIY either in a tour, so I trust you know what to expect..

As a solo traveler you may meet less visitors around, by on my experience those generally tend to be more interesting personalities with many stories to share and a more relaxed mood. Even without a car, starting from Athens, you can visit easily Meteora and Delphi on public transport. If you want to explore Athens too, I think those destinations are more than enough for a week.Peloponnese is a large place. Where you had in mind?

Note that an organized tour might be possible after all, but you have to wait and see. Contact chat, go and key tours sort before your trip or while on Rhodes.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

As mariha says, the weather business is overblown. February is cold but in the Peloponnese you rarely get frost except at altitude and there's always a good chance of decent weather. Meteora and Delphi are easy to do and would leave you time to visit the Peloponnese. The best base for a short visit is Nafplio which is only a couple of hours from Athens and has historical sites in abundance.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

Here on Rhodes there have been very bad storms in recent days with much flooding.

several people have been killed

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

Two days ago strong winds created many problems here in Delphi, from tress falling, old roofs flying and houses left with no electricity. So?.

What is your point?

No one can predict the weather, but floodings, winds and killings aren't the norm here!

8. Re: Greece solo traveler febuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:18