We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

Hi there,

I am flying into Athens on a Friday evening in July and have Saturday, Sunday and Monday free to explore Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae, before returning to Athens to meet family late Monday evening.

Can anyone give me the best way to do this? What websites etc.

I fly into the international airport and wish to go straight to one of the above cities from there.

I was thinking of going from the airport on Friday night to Meteora, spend the Saturday there.

Then Saturday evening or Sunday morning go to Delphi.

On Sunday evening leave for Mycenae to see the lions gate etc on the Monday.

Leave Monday evening to Athens in order to get a full day in Athens on Tuesday.

Does this work?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

Too much, too little time.

Seriously, you 'll have to make a lot of driving for a little of quality time. These places seem near to each other, but they are not + you need some time to enjoy the places, rather than having a rushed visit to each site.

Arriving Friday evening you 'll have a 4 hours drive in the night to reach Meteora. Then what? Half a day visit, to start driving to Delphi, reaching there Saturday late, spending Sunday morning and repeatinmg the same to be Monday late in Athens?

---------------

I see three issues / problems:

a) How do you plan doing this? Public transportation or rented car. Doing on public transportation will limit up driving time. Doing it on a rented car will give you more autnomy. Pick the second if possible.

b) I would pick two out of the three. Remember you have only one full day in Athens, when you need at least two to scratch the surface. Having just a rushed day in the city you 'll end up hating the place, simply cause you 'llnot be able to orientate anyway :)

c) What time do you arrive Friday 'evening'? Overall the general driving pattern ( driving late, having free time on the sites early in the day ) does work, still it is a lot of place in a little time. Perhaps doing Delphi + Argholis OR Delphi and Meteora works better; remember some people would pick having three days in just one of these places.

So, you arrive Friday what time? Leaving Wednesday?

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

I have already spent 5 days in Athens before but I have to return to Athens on the Monday night in this case.

I arrive on the Friday at 5.30 pm and I leave on the Wednesday at 8.30pm.

I might have to do just the two places, I think Delphi and Mycenae rather then Meteora as I have wanted to go to the others for ages.

Thanks for your advise. I think I would get public transport as rental cars are much more expensive and a hassle with parking.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

I doubt very much that you could do this by bus in your timescale. As Nick says you could do it if you're driving but it would be a LOT of driving - each leg would be 4 to 5 hours, and much of it on narrow, twisting mountain roads that I really would not recommend doing in the dark unless you are very used to driving in Greece.

An alternative would be to book an organised tour from Athens to Meteora and Delphi. If you do a search on the forum you should find a few threads about these. I think with your limited time, Mycenae will have to wait for another trip.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

Agh Mycenae is the place I was most interested in out of the 3.

Oh well I will have to have a think.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

Well Mycenae is the easiest to get to from Athens so maybe go for that and forget the others. If you get a bus to Nafplio you can base yourself there and visit not only Mycenae but also Epidavros which really is a must. And Nafplio,itself is well worth a day's exploring. Www.visitnafplio.com

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

Thanks for your tips.

7. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 15:52
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

Had to repost: awfully lot orthography lessons :)

Considering you are coming from the UK ( which means it's not extremely difficult to make a return or return visits in the future ) it may be a better idea to concentrate in the area you want to visit more and leave the rest for some future visit.

Argholis, the area where Mycenae is, is a great area. Nafplion itself, the main town can keep you busy and happy, great castle there, great town itself. Mycenaes is a great site of course, Epidavros theater also, Argos is a smaller site but very important, while the area offers options to visit islands in the vicinity too, like Spetses, Hydra, Poros.

When you arrive in Athens and if you want to take the bus to Nafplion the very same day, you 'll have to take X93 bus from airport to the main bus station, Kifissos Station this is; and take a regional bus from there. Now that's winter time and commuting interest is somewhat lower you still have three departures after 5.30pm, last one at 9.30pm. I am sure you 'll have more options at summer time.

You can even prebook your ticket and purchase it online, here: www.ktel-argolidas.gr/…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

A car is the way to go. I checked with http://www.economycarrentals.com and for 3 days in July you can get a little Citroen C1 size car for 167 euros.

I agree that Meteora is out with the time you have available. Find a cheap flight and do another trip! ;^)

10. Re: How to get to Meteora, Delphi and Mycenae

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 06:18