We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about the Christmas in Greece?

Madrid, Spain
1 post
Save Topic
How about the Christmas in Greece?

We will arrive in Athens on 24 of December, and leave on 31. Now our plan is that from 24 to 28 we stay in Athens and from 28 to 31 in Santorini. Is it appropriate?

What’s more, there are some problems which we hope someone could help us to solve.

1. Is there any website where I can find the schedule of the sight spots of Greece? It is said that many attractions will be closed for 1 or 2 days during the Christmas. Therefore, we plan to go to the Temple of Poseidon and Meteora the first two days in Athens, and then visit the city its self. Is it possible?

2. And the schedule of transport? None of us have a driving license, so we have to depend on the public transport.

3. About Santorini, it is said that during the Christmas the majority of the residents of Santorini would leave the island for holiday. And many restaurants, markets, the Nea Kameni and so on will be closed the whole holiday. So do we need to change our plan? For example, the island Clete? Or the north of Greece?

4. We have booked the hotels. But if we take it in to account the closing of many restaurants, do we need to cancel the hotels and rent an apartment in Airbnb to cook the dinner?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,609 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How about the Christmas in Greece?

hi and welcome....

first of all can you cancel your bookings for santorini?if you can't try posting the questions about santorini in santorini forum and i hope someone will answer..

santorini in my opinion is not advisable at this time of year..if you can cancel the hotel and get a refund forget the islands,since it's winter ..a good option besides athens may be the coastal town of nafplio..pedestrianized,good architecture,two fortresses..and a base for side trips to archeological sights like epidavros and mykines..a charming little town..

http://tinyurl.com/prrmdw6

more info here

visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Nafplio/Na…

nafplio is 2 hours away from athens with the local intercity buses named KTEL...you catch the bus from athens ktel station in kifissos..

meteora is not suitable for a day trip..it is a long drive to get there from athens and if you want to return the same day you have only a few hours to visit the area,which is not worth it..consider staying 2 days there..you can arrange a visit the monasteries the morning of the second day and then return .

the trip to cape spunio (the temple of poseidon) is usually on the afternoon ..it's a great view to watch the sunset from sounion..

both trips to sounion and meteora can be arranged with local travel agencies.

for athens there are many experts and i hope they will come up with answers about the schedules during chistms days..have a look at these links with things to do in athens..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k47…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k5999…

choose your hotel in athens between the areas of plaka,akropolis,syntagma,monastiraki(more lively)..avoid anything close to omonoia area..make sure the location of your hotel is indeed away from omnoia,some hotels try to hide the fact that they are near omonoia.

any question you have has been answered many times..just go to the specific forum and type the key words of your question at the research bar.

for example for your trip to meteora type 'athens to meteora'' and previous answers will come up

Edited: 12 December 2013, 17:05
2. Re: How about the Christmas in Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:16