We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

Hello,

Could you recommend an island(s) for a week holiday in July? We arrive in Athens and leave from Athens and can spend alltogether 10 nights on holiday. We would not like to spend too much time in boats or waiting for planes. Yet we would like to have the holiday in an island without crowds. I was thinking of Paros or Aegina? Or could we take two islands in a week? We are a couple at our 40 and this is the firts trip without children. We love diving, chrystal waters and small towns with tavernas. Partying teenagers we'd like to avoid ; )

Many thanks for any recommendations.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

hi and welcome.. the saronic islands seem like an option....all easily accessible by athens' port pireaus (you are there in 1 hour or a bit more)..you don;t mention when in july you arrive (the later the more people),but generally i would consider them for a more low key holiday..here are some details about them..

visitgreece.gr/en/…argosaronic_islands

forget about paros,it is a ''touristy'' island,which i guess is something you wish to avoid..pAros is in cyclades,not to be confused with pOros,which is one of the saronic islands i suggested (along with aegina,which you are considering)..

if you really want to be off the beaten track another option would be evia..in evia you will see how ''the old greece'' was,before tourism arrived..relatively close to athens (a few hours with a rental car,which will help you explore this big island)..a very big island,not touristic at all..it is so big it feels like the mainland in the non coastal places..in fact it is the opposite of touristic and it only attracts greek visitors..as you see a car is a must for evia,so if you are not willing to drive its a no go.

here is a recent very graphic and interesting trip report broken in parts about evia..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189454-i4352-k6…

Edited: 23 December 2013, 16:34
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

Hi Milla J, an island near by Athens (less than 2 hours) with not a lot of crowds is Agkistri, which is one of the saronic islands.

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
174 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

Kea and Kithnos, not very well known to tourists and very quiet.Max 2 hours from Lavrio, the other port for Cyclades.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,082 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

Hi,

I go along with Xristina's suggestion, Kythnos:

http://www.kythnos.gr/en/main/

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

Thank you very much of your comments!

Evia was in my mind earlier but somehow I considered it not beeing "islandish" in its nature, but maybe!

Agkistri, Kythos and Kea seem appealing, and I had never heard of them - thank youso much! Which of them would have most things to do for a week?

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
174 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

Aghistri is very small.Both Kithnos and Kea are ok for one week.The good thing with most greek islands is that one can do 2 to 3 small islands in a week if his is bored in one.So you could choose one and if you are bored, take the next boat and go to the other! The other good thing is that , usually , the sea is so beautiful and the food also, that I have met people coming in a very small island for 2 days and they stay for weeks!

7. Re: Island with easy access from Athens and no crowds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 06:19