We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

Hi, Everyone. My girlfriends and I are very interested in traveling to Greece this summer and are concerned about the current climate in Greece. We would be a group of 6-8 single, African-American females and are wondering if we would be safe within the country (specifically, Athens) considering the recent issues there. We plan to check the Embassy site in the next couple monhts but as always, first-hand knowledge from those who have been recently is always the best route. Thanks!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

Hi NolieNole,

There is no reason why you should not go to Athens. There are sometimes demonstrations but these are against the government and do not involve tourists. Indeed you will, if you find one, see a demonstration in front of a government building and people sat outside a café drinking just round the corner.

Obviously there are a couple of not very pleasant places just as in New York or any other major city but they are not around the tourist areas.

Go and enjoyu

Bob

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

hi and welcome..greece welcomes 17 million tourists yearly..no greek has ever hurt a tourist...the economnic crisis is of course here,but it is still a european country,not some 3rd world country that you have to ask your embassy about..greeks are famous for their hospitality.

athens,like new york has its rough neighborhoods (omonoia),if you stay at the historic center areas where all the sites are (akropolis,plaka,syntama,monastiraki) you will enjoy athens...it is still a vast overpopulated metropolis,so save most of your time for the islands,they are the asset of greece ,the reason why greece has so many tourists,much more appealing..

greek islands

http://tinyurl.com/lfzbtrr

Edited: 08 January 2014, 23:11
Salem, MO
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

Hello NolieNole, Yes by all means go to Greece and eat, sun, play and enjoy. As for Athens, remember it is a LARGE town with an urban population of over 3 million people. Like most large towns with millions of tourist, there are some people who prey on the tourist. So stay smart about your travels. Don’t make yourselves an easy target. Eg. keep your purse closed and close, keep your money in a money belt or a man purse under your shirt, remove your gold necklaces, if traveling at night you may want to take a taxi to and from your hotel. My wife and I were in Athens for 3 days and had NO problems. We did mistakenly book our lodging in Omonia, which is a rough part of Athens (don’t stay in Omonia). But again we did not have any problems.

We did our trip to Greece in May of 2013. You can find the blog my wife did of our travels at www.blogger.com/profile/11553764064083981360. Good luck and enjoy Greece. 2sassytraverers" .

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

I've never felt the need to remove any jewellery in Athens or anywhere in Greece, it is probably one of the safest countries to visit in the world, just use normal common sense, no need for extreme measures

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

Hey and welcome neighbor:-) I have to echo all the great advise here.. head out.. just go.. and normal precautions you'd take anywhere apply (which is pretty much second nature living in this metropolis;-)

Tried accessing 2sassytravelers blog.. but no joy! Was looking forward to checking out;-) Enjoy all!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

Hi NolieNole,

I've read the travel.state.gov Country Specific Information on Greece, and think I know what you are concerned about. Let me say that as an American myself I have found the State Department website to be "very cautious" in the information it provides on travel to just about every country. I think you need to read between the lines and interpret their advice as an attempt to cover all the bases. Americans, whatever their complexion, are very welcome in Greece. You won't have any problems.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

I'll second the recommendation to not stay in Ommonia. It's really not that bad - I'd read so much about avoiding it that I just had to spend a couple hours wandering around by myself...nothing unpleasant, at least during the day, but it's not an attractive part of Athens and not that close to where you'll want to spend time.

I've walked through some of the demonstrations over the past few years and they were nothing compared with my college days' riots.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 20:30
Salem, MO
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

Try this link. 2sassytravelers-greece2013.blogspot.com/ for our blog. enjoy

9. Re: African-American Female's First Trip To Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19