We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any places like Mykonos?

Torquay, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Any places like Mykonos?

Hello. I am looking to visit somewhere similar to Mykonos, Greece. Myself (24) and my partner (26) went there last and we loved every minute we spent there.

What we loved about Mykonos: The stunning beaches, the nightlife (there but not in your face), the beautiful old buildings, amazing restaurants, the friendly people, and not one British drunken yob in site.

Any advice would be much appricated, thank you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any places like Mykonos?

Well I would suggest you may like Naxos. It is in the same island chain, It has the same white and blue trim buildings. The main town has a waterfront promenade and back alleys leading through the old market up to the Kastro. It has lots of good tavernas and even a couple of antiquities to visit. Naxos has as very good beaches. The people of Naxos are a permanent population so those friendly people you mentioned are most likely going to be natives with a vested interest in making your visit as pleasant as possible. There is nightlife but I don't think it is as vibrant as Mykonos.

As a bonus Naxos also offers lovely mountain villages where you can see how Greece used to be and the mountain topography gives you great vistas. You might also be interested in antiquities such as Demeter Temple and the kourous still laying in the marble quarrys where they fell.

Since Naxos is a bit harder to get to with no big international airport the package holiday crowd is missing.

What you will be happy to find in Naxos is prices for food and accommodation are substantially lower.

Here are some images of Naxos see what I mean.

Naxos Town

flickr.com/photos/…

Trip around Naxos

flickr.com/photos/…

Torquay, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any places like Mykonos?

Thank you very much for your reply. Very helpfull. The pictures are beautiful, it looks just what we are looking for. Not as much nightlife as Mykonos, but still enough, Thank you again, going to give Naxos some serious research now. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Torquay, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any places like Mykonos?

Having looked into Naxos, not having the option to fly direct there has put me off. Any other suggestions? I did consider Malta?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any places like Mykonos?

maybe do it the opposite way,look which islands are reachable with a direct flight and see which one seems appealing..

i suggested ios in your other post but i guess there are no direct flights to ios either..

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any places like Mykonos?

Pehaps it would be easier to suggest something if you could list the islands where you can fly direct?

6. Re: Any places like Mykonos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19