We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-6 days in Greece

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
5-6 days in Greece

Hello advisors,

I am planning to bring my mother and my aunt to Greece for 5-6 days in late April. I plan to have a beautiful trip for 2 females age around 60 from Thailand. Actually we are Thai but I have lived in Sweden for a while and we will travel from Sweden.

I only have 2 names in my mind which are Athens and Nafplio since Santorini may by too quiet for the season. And I think 1.5 days in Athens is enough. What will you suggest ?

Look forward to discuss with you all ^^''

//Kitti

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

I think it's a very good plan to spend a couple of days seeing the main sights in Athens and then spend the rest of your time in Nafplio. Nafplio is a beautiful town with good hotels, restaurants and shops within the pretty, winding lanes of the old town. iIt has an attractive waterfront and two castles. From Nafplio you can make day trips to many interesting places; there is a lot of information on this site www.visitnafplio.com

Edited: 10 January 2014, 09:22
Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,408 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

Hi,

For a taste of a Greek island you could visit the nearby Aegina for a day from Athens.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,530 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

1.5 day is not enough for Athens. It wil be rushed and hectic.

What can you really see in 0.5 day? You need a full day for the basic two ancient sites ( Acropolis, Agora ) and Acropolis Museum and you 'll have just scratched the surface, without seeing anything else.

I 'd count a minimum of 2 full days to make justice to the place, excluding any day trips out of it. Add another separate day for a visit to Aegina or Hydra ( Hydra can possibly be done from Nafplion too ). Another possible day trip from Athens is Delphi site, most probably on a coach tour.

If you finally pick Athens and Nafplion, do this as a 6 days trip at a minimum. Half days, like arrival day or departure day or domestic travelling days are just a bonus but don't count on them for any serious sightseeing. When you have to check out / check in or fly these are simply days "on the go".

Exclude travelling days because they are just this: travelling days; and allow 2 full days for Athens and 2 full days for Nafplion.

http://tinyurl.com/AthensAttractions-English

tinyurl.com/Acropolis-Agora-walk-English

Edited: 10 January 2014, 10:13
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

Thank you everyone for your feedback ^^''

I will think carefully about the trip again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

Hey and welcome Kitti:-) Totally agree with Nick.. a day and half in Athens is cutting it short! Of course, it depends on your interests.. what you're looking to see/do, experience.. IMO, 2 full days (which actually requires 3 nights) is a way better time allotment for this magnificent City.. especially if you're interested in taking in a Museum or 2.. and would certainly shoot for the 6 days.. more if you can manage it;-) Enjoy!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
271 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

will you have a car? if not, you'll be at the mercy of tours (boo)

If so, I would advise staying at the wonderful Hotel Attalos, which is within walking distance of everything. take a day to walk around many things near the Plaka, there are a number of sites that you get entrance to with your Acropolis ticket. Go see them all. One your way back go to Hadrians Arch, the temple of Zues and the Olympic Stadium. A walk through the national garden is nice as well.

the next day take a walk down to the museum. you will pass a number of famous places. you can literally spend the entire day in there. there is a cute cafe outside for lunch and then head right back in.

the next day there are many options, you'll need to decide what's important.

after day 3 have a car dropped off for you at the hotel, and head out on the highway.

Then take this path: Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth, Akrocorinth, Epidavros, Navplion

Day two Tyrinns, Myceane, Palamidi, Bourtzi

Day three back to athens except go past the city and drive south to sounia and see the temple of Poseidon.

The airport is down there too, so maybe you can drop your car off and just hop on a plane.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

But if you're not renting a car it is easy to get from Athens to Nafplio by bus. There is plenty to see and do within Nafplio but you should certainly visit the wonderful ancient theatre at Epidavros, either by bus or get a taxi.

8. Re: 5-6 days in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:17