We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini and Mykonos in October (for my honeymoon)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini and Mykonos in October (for my honeymoon)

Hello,

I am planning on visiting Santorini and Mykonos this coming October for my honeymoon. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any help!

1) I planning on going in the beginning of October. Would the weather be still good and fun?

2) How many days should I spend in each island? I have about a week in total. (2 days each enough or should I do at least 3 days each?)

3) I will be coming from Turkey, so what's the best way to reach there? Should I fly or take the ferry from Western Turkey?

4) Is there another island you guys would recommend instead of these? (or in addition?)

I know that's a lot of questions but I would appreciate any answers! Thanks :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini and Mykonos in October (for my honeymoon)

Hi rastaman_yamon: Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your wedding.

The weather in early October is usually fairly good -- warm and mainly sunny, excellent for sightseeing and even enjoying the beaches. However, a weather system moved over the Cyclades the first week of October last year, bringing unusually strong winds and quite chilly weather for three days. Locals said that was not typical weather for early October (but bring some warmer clothes just in case -- we were glad we did).

Two nights per island gives you a pretty hectic schedule so three nights per island would be much better if you could swing it.

October is low season and ferry service is significantly reduced in Greece by that time. Probably would be faster for you to fly to Athens from Turkey, fly to Mykonos (Aegean and Olympic have daily flights), then take a ferry to Santorini. From Santorini, fly back to Athens to catch your return flight home. Be sure to spend at least one day in Athens prior to return flight so you have a buffer period in case bad weather, mechanical problems, strikes or whatever cause cancellation of ferries or flights from the islands to mainland Greece.

As far as recommending another island goes, I suppose the big question is why you chose Mykonos and Santorini, two of the most touristy and commercial islands in Greece. Are there specific things you wanted to see and do on each?

An alternative island that I would highly recommend is Naxos, which has much more to see than Mykonos (3 nights on Naxos would let you see only the tip of the iceberg of attractions and sights, so to speak), is much cheaper to visit, and isn't as intensely touristic and commercial. Here's some info about Naxos from my travel blog: tinyurl.com/WhyVisitNaxos

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini and Mykonos in October (for my honeymoon)

Thanks donnyb, for the detailed info! To be honest, the reason I chose these islands is because these are the ones I heard most and they seem to be popular. I guess Mykonos is known for its nightlife which is not that important for me since I'll be on honeymoon. So I could go for a more quiet place. I'll check your blog, thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini and Mykonos in October (for my honeymoon)

Most of the nightlife for which Mykonos is famous tapers off by mid-September, when the bigger beach party clubs close for the season. So you would be travelling too late for the party scene. There will still be plenty of bars open in Mykonos Town where you would be able to go for a drink or a night out if you wanted, though.

4. Re: Santorini and Mykonos in October (for my honeymoon)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:18